Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need help.  My cat "Spicy" went to the vet on yesterday at PetSmart.  She was seen and given medicine (meloxicam) but she is no better. They contacted me today and I was told to bring her back if there is no improvement tomorrow.  The truth is she is wobbling around but still trying to eat.  She will eat the liquid from her food but not the pieces. I was told it will cost at minimum $220 to do a scan of her head and I asked about the insurance but because she is considered difficult and will have to be sedated they are not willing to provide the insurance for her.  I paid $188.33 on yesterday and I know in the grand sceme of things that is not a lot but it was more than I could afford.  Does anyone have any suggestions concerning how I can get her seen somewhere? PLEASE...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry your girl isn't feeling any better.   What were her symptoms when you took her in?  The medication they gave her (generic Metacam) can have some very serious side effects.  Try mashing her food up and adding a touch of warm water to it to make it more like oatmeal consistency.  The other thing you could do is look up to see if you have an emergency vet in your area. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, I'm thinking maybe you are asking how you can get help finding a Vet who charges less? 

Maybe this thread will help you:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/155462/cant-afford-a-vet-please-read

In the meantime, why do they feel they need to scan her head?  Did she hit her head or something?  Or is it because she is wobbling and this is something new?  What all is happening with her?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What exactly is going on with your kitty, what prompted you to take her to the vet?  Why do they wnat to do a scan?  Some vets have programs for people who don't have money, but you'd have to call around to find out if they do.  The vet I work at has a fund that we use in special circumstances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she wasn't herself but she did eat a full meal Friday.  But Saturday I had to place the food infront of her and the food, which was baby food, that I was advised to feed her after she saw the Vet.  She did eat a large portion of the baby food.   She seemed more lethargic and just off balance, wobbly Saturday night and Sunday.  She did respond to sound but her response was delayed and not her normal response.  I pushed against her legs and she does push back but she still seems out of it. She did urinate today.  I have been feeding her with a syringe since last night because I don't want her dehydrated.  I am saying she needs a scan because maybe she had a stroke.  She is only 4yrs. old and has no history of medical problems.  With her wobbling like that Stroke was my first thought.  A CBC was done on her and the vet stated liver, kidneys, heart were all fine. Red blood cell count was fine and no diabetes.  But I'm worried because now she is not eating on her own.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend a 2nd opinion at another vet clinic.  Ask around and see if you can find one from your friends or family.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This does not sound like a typical stroke to me...from what I have read, cats usually have a tilted head and walk in circles after a stroke.  Did they check her blood pressure when you were at the Vet? 

Obviously SOMETHING is wrong, but just doesn't sound like a stroke (to me). 

Have you called around to try to find some other place to take her to be seen again.  If so, I would gather up the records from Banfield (Petsmart) and take them with you.  How is she doing today?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

..."Spicy" went to the vet...at PetSmart.  She was given medicine (meloxicam) but she is no better.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning how I can get her seen somewhere? PLEASE...

now she is not eating on her own.............
Hi SPICEYS MOM !

First, a caution: nothing you have written warrants Spicey receiving meloxicam. Period.

Second, this drug (a NSAID, like human Advil) destroys kidney cells and is generally recognized as having an extremely narrow safety margin in cats. That margin disappears when a cat is already dehydrated.

Thirdly, oral dosing of meloxicam is NOT FDA approved/licensed in the US, and in 2010 the FDA mandated that all American Vets receive a letter warning against this practice, after having received thousands of reports of kidney failure in cats linked to the drug.

I would NOT be using that drug - ever - in any of my cats.

I would have her seen at a cat-only Vet clinic.....post back if you need help finding one.

If she's not eating on her own (and she's not constipated), you really need to assist-feed her - with wet foods. Here is a site with info on assist-feeding: Assist Feed.com

For some references about Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and their dangers to cats, I posted this yesterday: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/268743/leg-injury#post_3451422 The FDA's statement about meloxicam is here: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm231254.htm

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too think you need a second opinion.  I know money is a concern but I think it is necessary.  I take mine to a cat's only clinic after 6 years of vet hopping to find answers for chronic health issues with one of my kitties.  Of course a cat's only vet isn't a guarantee of a good vet but I think the odds are better.  There are many things besides neurological that could be causing these symptoms.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet look down her ears?  Ear problems can cause balance issues in cats.  Did the vet say why they put her on Meloxicam?

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response, I didn't pay a bill so I could ake Spicy to another vet.  He examined her and said she he believes she has inner ear infections.  The Vet put her on Prednisone and Amoxicillin.  So,she is moving much better but she still has not eaten really on her own since Sunday.  I am feeding her with a syringe.  A mixture of babyfood and the liquid from wet cat food in addition to several syringes of water.  The vet said he appetite should pick up in a couple of days.  Suggestions?

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response, I didn't pay a bill so I could take Spicy to another vet. He examined her and said she he believes she has inner ear infections. The Vet put her on Prednisone and Amoxicillin. So,she is moving much better but she still has not eaten really on her own since Sunday. I am feeding her with a syringe. A mixture of babyfood and the liquid from wet cat food in addition to several syringes of water. The vet said he appetite should pick up in a couple of days. Suggestions?

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response, I didn't pay a bill so I could ake Spicy to another vet. He examined her and said she he believes she has inner ear infections. The Vet put her on Prednisone and Amoxicillin. So,she is moving much better but she still has not eaten really on her own since Sunday. I am feeding her with a syringe. A mixture of babyfood and the liquid from wet cat food in addition to several syringes of water. The vet said he appetite should pick up in a couple of days. Suggestions?  Told me to discontinue meloxicam immediately. Thanks for your advice.

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response, I didn't pay a bill so I could take Spicy to another vet. He examined her and said she he believes she has inner ear infections. The Vet put her on Prednisone and Amoxicillin. So,she is moving much better but she still has not eaten really on her own since Sunday. I am feeding her with a syringe. A mixture of babyfood and the liquid from wet cat food in addition to several syringes of water. The vet said he appetite should pick up in a couple of days. Suggestions?

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What your doing is a really good start to her recovery! I suggest that tomorrow you put in a small line of moisturized snacks and see if she response. If not help her and keep doing this for about three days or so then start her back on dry food!  

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for your response, I didn't pay a bill so I could ake Spicy to another vet. He examined her and said she he believes she has inner ear infections. The Vet put her on Prednisone and Amoxicillin. So,she is moving much better but she still has not eaten really on her own since Sunday. I am feeding her with a syringe. A mixture of babyfood and the liquid from wet cat food in addition to several syringes of water. The vet said he appetite should pick up in a couple of days. Suggestions?  Told me to discontinue meloxicam immediately. Thanks for your advice.
I think your computer is hiccupping!

I'm relieved that this time you appear to have received a possible diagnosis, and that you've ditched the meloxicam.

I don't know your experience with assist-feeding by syringe, so just a few cautionary thoughts......tiny amounts (really, just a few drops) at a time, NEVER in the centre of the mouth nor down the throat, but only into the side pockets of the mouth then allowing her to swallow....she must not aspirate/choke on the food (or water) because this can cause a fatal pneumonia.

Keep us posted!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prednisone will stimulate appetite.  As long as she is eating at least half of what she normally eats she should be okay.  Meat baby food preferably Beechnut is fine for up to 5 days.  The Beechnut is the purest of the baby foods.  Even after going back to just cat food I would continue with the canned food.

spicys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

THANK U ALL SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTIONS AND SUPPORT!!!!! Spicy is back on her feet with A LOT less WOBBLE action.  She also ate on her own this morning and has resumed cleaning herself, YAAAAA!   I am so happy that she seems to be making a recovery.

Thanks so much!!!!

Spicy's Mom

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm SO glad

They are such a worry when they are sick

Status
Not open for further replies.