Suggestions/Tips for Newbies?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's beautiful!!! If you wet down the dry food, don't leave it out forever - I'd honestly pick it up after 30 minutes or so (just like with wet food - you don't want it to spoil). I feed my adult cats both wet and dry - I put a measured amount of dry down in the morning and toss out whatever's left over the next morning. I think that you always want to have some food available for a kitten, so I think supplementing the wet food with dry kitten kibble is fine. Unless you're home all day long and can keep putting down small portions of wet.

There are also lots of books out there for novice cat owners (I was there myself a few years back) - I believe there's even a 'Dummies' book for kittens. And, I found that librarians can be hugely helpful in tracking down 'cat' books -I'll bet your local library has at least one 'cat person' on staff who would be thrilled to help you out.

re water - I started using distilled water for mine, becuase I got them a Drinkwell fountain, and it seems the weekly cleaning is easier. But, I just use a gallon a week, and it's around 99 cents. Mine were happy, I think, with either tap or distilled - but if your water is heavily mineralized, you might see if they have a preference for distilled. You will find very shortly that nothing is too good for our babies - even if we're down to eating macaroni and cheese, they will get the best food available!

Again, congratulations and best wishes - you'll be surprised how soon you will not be able to imagine life without your gorgeous little girl.

mew03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on being a new kitten owner! She looks adorable, very sweet.

One thing about the water, I'd go with bottled. We've been giving our cats bottled water mostly since they were kittens and our vet has commented on how our cats have never had any urinary infections so far. (knock on wood!) Considering our two older cats, who have since past on from other things after living to a ripe old age, never had any infections of that sort either when it's a pretty common illness in cats, makes me think that bottled water was one of the best things to do to keep the cats healthy. Some people may have cleaner water than others, but just to be on the safe side, you might want to try bottled.