Suggestions on mattress toppers

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking at maybe getting a mattress topper for my bed to make it more comfy. The mattress is 10 years old and I can't afford a new one at the moment. I think a topper might help. Not a mattress pad but a thick topper / feather-bed type. Something like this:

I'm not sure about feathers / alternative vs a foam type topper or a topper that is a combo.

Opinions, thoughts. recommendations?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Back when I had a horrid bed I tried several and the best was a latex mattress topper. Unlike memory foam that you sort of sink into, with the latex you are supported evenly. A one inch topper costs around $100 for a Queen size, comes in your choice of soft, medium or firm and really makes a difference. I bought mine online from SleepOnLatex.com and they have a no questions return policy so if you don’t like it you can send it back.

After using the latex topper for a year I went ahead and bought a $300 latex and spring hybrid mattress online from Linen Spa. The most comfortable mattress I have had in many many years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm allergic to latex so those types of toppers and mattresses aren't options.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to latex so those types of toppers and mattresses aren't options.
It doesn't touch your skin so I wonder if it would cause a reaction.

I tried a latex foam mattress once and loved it. My next mattress will be latex.

Do they have mixed memory foam/fluffy mattress toppers? I think that would be a good topper, because the fluffy ones get too squished but the memory foam ones just aren't cozy on their own.

Ooh, they do!
Verify your identity

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a combo topper that had was reviewed on a web site and was rated well but when I went to the actually web site to see how much it cost, a lot of the reviews there said that you only get the foam part and it was a pain to deal with customer service to get the plushy topper part which was supposed to be included. The product description does say you get both the plushy part and the foam. So maybe not a good idea to get a combo, especially online.

A lot of reviews mention an initial smell / odor after unpacking any kind of topper. I guess you're supposed to let it air out for a few days and naturally expand to full size before using?