Suggestions For Shy Cat

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted my Molly 5 months ago from a rescue organization. She is 4 and clearly had some trauma in her previous 'home,' and she was thrown from a car at age 3 and fortunately rescued.

When she came home with me, she hid for just over 2 weeks, but since she emerged, she is an adorable and loving lap cat. However, she is fearful of anyone else and hides if anyone comes into the house.

That's not a problem for me, as my first cat behaved similarly, and it was several years before she 'showed herself' to anyone but me. My concern is that at the end of April, I will be going away for a week. I have a wonderful sitter who actually slept in my house with my two previous cats because they were incredibly human bonded and wanted human company.

That's obviously not the case with Molly, and my plan is for the sitter to come twice a day to feed her and clean the box. It's likely the sitter will never see her (which bothers my sitter, as she fancies herself a 'cat whisperer'). I am concerned that this week may be too stressful for Molly. When she arrived, I used Feliway plug ins for about 6 weeks, and I will put them in again before I leave.

What's adding to my concern is her recent behavior. I'm retired, so I don't have a 'set schedule,' and during our awful winter, I was home a lot. Recently, I've begun some physical therapy, and have generally been going out more. With these absences (rarely more than 3 hours, often about a single hour), Molly seems 'stressed' when I return. She will jump into my lap whenever I sit down and remains for (seemingly) endless petting.

Anyone have suggestions about anything I can do to lessen her stress when I leave?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The Feliway diffuser will probably help. Something else I’d recommend is having the pet sitter over before, when you’re at home, so that Molly can get accustomed to her. Even if she hides when the pet sitter visits, she’ll get used to her scent, voice, footsteps, etc., and see that this isn’t someone who will try to hurt her. Something else you can do is leave around clothes that you’ve worn for Molly to cuddle with. These will have your scent on it, so it will help her feel secure.

Here’s some articles that give some great advice:

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Separation Anxiety In Cats

A Pet Owner's Guide To Pet Sitters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The sitter has been over once, and I think it's a good idea to have her visit a few more times before I leave.
Molly likes to 'rest' on my bed, so when I leave I plan to do what I've done with my other cats. Although I love to come home to fresh sheets, I leave the used sheets on the bed and pull back the covers a little, so my scent is there.

Good idea to leave some clothes around, too.

Thanks again for your great suggestions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think having the pet sitter over a few times before you go should help. I wonder if she could also leave a piece of her clothing, like a scarf, at your place so Molly could get more used to the sitter's scent. Since she considers herself a "cat whisperer" maybe Molly will be less timid, once it is just the sitter coming and going.

And, yes, definitely leave things around for her to remember your scent while you're away.

Poor Molly. She really had a rough start to her life. She's very lucky to be with you now. :catlove: