Suggestions for a panic-stricken cat

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that the laundry room door is open so Rue is free to leave IF he wants to. From what you write he wants to hide behind the washer / dryer. What happens when you do laundry? I think it would be adding to his stress level. Hasten to add that I'm not suggesting you go to a laundromat, just asking what the cat does when machines are in operation.

My feeling would be to move him to your bedroom complete with food, water, litter pan and hiding places. Then close the door and allow him to decompress. Quiet, privacy, and you sleeping there at night.

Cannot cold turkey off Prozac. Important to taper off.

Not the same at all but - We had a couple of instances of misdirected aggression. My vet has used Prozac for one client's cat but prefers Valium, which worked very well for our two cats. Not every medication works the same on every individual.

Here's hoping your poor boy can leave the black hole that has him so terrified.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heisenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that the laundry room door is open so Rue is free to leave IF he wants to. From what you write he wants to hide behind the washer / dryer. What happens when you do laundry? I think it would be adding to his stress level. Hasten to add that I'm not suggesting you go to a laundromat, just asking what the cat does when machines are in operation.

My feeling would be to move him to your bedroom complete with food, water, litter pan and hiding places. Then close the door and allow him to decompress. Quiet, privacy, and you sleeping there at night.

Not the same at all but - We had a couple of instances of misdirected aggression. My vet has used Prozac for one client's cat but prefers Valium, which worked very well for our two cats. Not every medication works the same on every individual.

When doing the laundry it doesn't seem to bug him.  He stays in the same spot and looks the same whether the dryer is running or not.  Point well-taken though, the noise etc certainly cant be helping the situation.

Good to know about the valium, will keep that in mind.  I'm going to break him out of the environment of that room and put him somewhere else.  Probably should have done that long ago but thank you and other posters for suggesting it.

heisenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE 12/12/16 - So we moved Rue into our bathroom/bedroom and for a few hours he seemed to be doing a little better but then went back to same reclusive/fearful appearing behavior.  He sat in his litter box for two days basically.  We were giving him water with the dropper still since he will eat but wont drink water out the bowl on his own.  We brought him to a different vet on Friday for a 2nd opinion.  Vet said she has no idea why the previous vet would have started him on Prozac for panic/anxiety but she suspects something else is in play. We had stopped the Prozac a few days prior any way since it wasn't doing any good. Xray revealed he was severely impacted (likely from not enough fluids) so they kept Rue overnight and took care of that.  By Saturday they were able to relieve some of his impaction (sp?) but wanted to keep him the weekend. Yesterday (Sunday) vet called and said she is examining his xrays closer for a possible spine contusion.  She said he has one spot on his spine that definitely causes him pain during the examination. This may account for why he's been hunched down with his tail tucked all the time.  We will get an update from the vet today and likely pick him up to return home.  I'm thankful we went to this new vet to say the least.  I will update my post when I hear from vet today.  I'm thankful for your well wishes, please pray for a good outcome.

heisenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE OF MY UPDATE:  Vet just called and he does have a disc problem in his spine.  Its a degenerative thing and not an impact or sudden injury which I knew was highly unlikely.  She sent his xrays to an orthopedist for their opinion.  For sure I will not put him through a spine surgery.  I've been googling and unfortunately I think he has IVDD (he's about 7 years old by the way).  I'm hoping the joint supplement and meds will keep him comfortable which I believe they will. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
oh no. So glad you got him to a new vet. Maybe they will want to start him on a supplement glucosamine for the bones. That sounds very painful with the impacted bowels. Poor baby. Hoping they figure out a way to do pain management, if they do pain meds this will slow down the bowels so you want to make sure your vet sets you up to give him something to help the poo move along.

heisenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

oh no. So glad you got him to a new vet. Maybe they will want to start him on a supplement glucosamine for the bones. That sounds very painful with the impacted bowels. Poor baby. Hoping they figure out a way to do pain management, if they do pain meds this will slow down the bowels so you want to make sure your vet sets you up to give him something to help the poo move along.
Hi foxxycat.  Yes the vet gave us a laxative gel for daily use along with joint supplement.  They did not send us home with any pain meds but I think he definitely needs some. He was active when we got him back home from vet, was walking around my bathroom and rubbing against us purring etc. By late evening he was back laying down in an awkward position and didn't want to be touched.  When he was walking his back is hunched way down and he only has about 50% control/strength in his rear legs.  I've been reading a lot online and I'm almost certain he has IVDD and this is a permanent problem. The results can be anywhere from making a miraculous recovery and walking normal again (rare) to complete paralysis of back legs. They also will likely become incontinent if the paralysis surfaces.  We are really really sad about this poor guy.  Rue is from a litter of a homeless mother cat that my daughter and her friends took in.  Each friend took a kitten and one took the mother cat + a kitten. 

The only two treatment options are surgery or pain management.  I'm not going to put him through a spine surgery with no guarantees.  If his condition worsens and he's not comfortable with pain management I fear we may have to make the tough decision.  Very low point right now, sucks.

heisenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: 01/11/17

I realize no one is really following this thread anymore but I wanted to give an update on Rue.  It gives me great joy to say he has made a miraculous recovery.  Once the new vet diagnosed a spine injury/problem he has SLOWLY improved a bit each day.  We kept him quiet and secluded in our bathroom where he mostly laid in his bed (or in the litter box) and struggled his way up to the food bowl. Each day he got a bit stronger and now he is completely upright, his balance is good, he stands tall and doesn't appear to have any wobble in his rear legs.  He is skinner than before but that's probably a good thing. 

For the last few days he is running all over the house including upstairs, interacting with the other pets and our family.  Really happy this guy made a complete turnaround.  The poster that suggested a possible injury had this right early on, wish my first vet was as knowledgeable.  Thank You All.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
so happy! yes soft tissue injuries can take 4 to 6 weeks to heal-and to us that seems like such a long time. So very happy for you! sorry I didn't get a chance to read your answer 4 weeks ago :( sorry!!! But hopefully things keep going well!!