Suggestions for a dirty coat?

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My foster kitty Waggles was lost for a week and came back to us very dirty and tangled. I've never done any kind of bathing or cleaning before (other than brushing and combing) and was just looking for suggestions. He doesn't like to be brushed or combed and he's long haired. I'd love to put him in the bathtub but I don't think he'd appreciate that

Do the detangler sprays actually work?
Do the wipes do a good job?
Or cornstarch?

Thanks

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never found the waterless shampoos to be good. They leave a residue. I bathe mine with an oatmeal non soap type shampoo and conditioner.

The wipes are good for just a freshen up, but not real dirt. I use them before friends who are cat allergic come for a visit.

If you have lots of matting, I'd just take him to get shaved. I just saw my neighbor's long hair and he looks like a baby lion. He had jut gotten too hot and to many mats.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he won't tolerate a home grooming I'd take him to the vet and get him sedated and shaved... Else it will be an awful fight.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to do grooming or washing, then take him to a professional groomer. But you really should learn to comb him and bath him, especially if he's a long hair cat.

Once you get in a routine and do it every day or every other day - in time he will be more cooperative. I doubt that the wipes or cornstarch will do anything for him at this point - only a good bath will get him as clean as he should be.