Suggestions for a Cat with Eczema

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. definitely keep the litter the same and just keep watching him. Eventually we'll figure out what had him itching.

I forgot if it was mentioned: does he ever go outside?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you use lotion or anything and then pet him around the area where he's pulling his fur out?  Does he wear a collar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He never goes outside (Philadelphia, few woods, lots of cars...bad idea).

I don't use lotions ever. None of my cats wear collars unless they're being taken to the vet or something.

I'm taking a long leap here, but my BF's comforter was brought with him when he moved back in. He washed it in something different and if I remember correctly, Nic started scratching when he brought that comforter in...I'm wondering if he's allergic to the detergent from that? Nic does love sleeping on it, all the cats stick to that thing like velcro for some reason. Nic likes sleeping on his right side and I noticed the worse of the scratching is also on that side so I'm definitely leaning to the fact he might be sleeping on whatever is making him itchy.

So we're going to take this gigantic comforter to the laundry mat and wash it in our regular detergent next week, til then the cats are restricted from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he use a fabric softener on the comforter?

He doesn't know.

Technically he didn't personally wash it, his room mate did it for him. It smells strongly like flowers. So we don't know what was used, but it's definitely way different than what I use.