Sugar. We've come full circle

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Wow, I don't drink that much pop (soda for you US folks) in a year.

One thing I have also found is that the portion sizes in the US are huge! There is usually enough in one serving for 4 people. That can't be good.

A few years ago 3 of my friends and I went to a ski/golf resort in NY state. The first night we went to dinner in the dining room - great food. However, we made the mistake of each ordering an appetizer and then a dinner. The amounts in each order were staggering. There was no way on God's green earth that we would be able to consume that much food. Every night thereafter we agreed on one appetizer and split it between us and even then we still could not eat all of our meal and we are not small eaters by any means.

Maybe we are eating more than we need to keep our bodies healthy - just a thought.
Depends on where in the US you are... it's pop to me.

I almost NEVER eat a full "portion" when we go out. Which is fine with me because then I have lunch for work the next day. It's so bad that one of the top eating out diet tips is to get a carry out container as soon as your meal comes and taking at least half the food off your plate before you begin eating. I'm almost sure that most people eat more than they need. I know I do and it's so bad I even do it at home where I control my own portions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just watched a piece on CNN, the doctor said that the makers of fast food are purposely pre-digesting food before we get it, and his example is, 30 years ago people on average, chewed 20 times. But with the soft food now that fals apart, it takes 2 to 3 chews.

That's something I never thought about,

He goes on to say that now days people are eating to stimulate the brain with the sugar and fat.

that the food industry is knowingly pushing this.

makes sense.

The doctor's (kelser) book: The End of Over Eating.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

just watched a piece on CNN, the doctor said that the makers of fast food are purposely pre-digesting food before we get it, and his example is, 30 years ago people on average, chewed 20 times. But with the soft food now that fals apart, it takes 2 to 3 chews.
Wow, that's just a little disgusting!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about something earlier ( I couldn't really move for an hour and half, so I had time to think). Everyone think back to their local drive in's, bar and grills, and cafes - 20, 30, even 40 years ago. What sort of portions were they serving? I remember 20 years ago the ones in the small town I lived in always made huge burgers, sandwiches, chicken fried steak, and piled on the fries. It isn't necessarily the fast food places to blame.
And think about all of the southern cooking, the comfort foods. The family members who would pile the food on your plate for you and then tell you that you couldn't leave the table till you finished it all.

I'd encounter that at other people's houses, but thankfully my mother has similar eating habits to my own (doesn't each much) so she never forced that on me.
Originally Posted by fastnoc

i've definitely done that. in fact, my fav chips are salt and vinegar, i'll eat so many that it starts to physically burn my tongue. If that weren't the case, i'd eat a whole bag in a day for sure.
There's a simple solution to that. Only buy the little snack sized bags if you have no self control. If you have some, use a small bowl and don't go back for more. Never sit down with a full sized bag.