Suddenly there's something wrong with my vision

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It started yesterday morning  My vision is suddenly clouder, and I feel like I'm looking at everything through some kind of fog or veil.  And nothing is as sharply defined as it is normally, especially when I'm looking at something that is farther away.  Even reading here at TCS is more difficult than usual.  It doesn't feel like there's anything in my eyes, but could some kind of scratch do this?????  If it doesn't improve within a couple of days I'm going to make an appointment for an eye exam  Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL had something similar to that last year. The doctor first thought it was a detached retina but it turned out being an infection. Even with antibiotics it still took a few weeks to clear up. I would make an appointment now before it gets any worse.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a "floater" interfering with your vision, but usually those will clear up in a day or two.  You don't want to let it go too long; a detached retina needs to be attended to immediately.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please call your doctor IMMEDIATELY - like right this minute if you haven't already -   (and hopefully you have an opthamologist) and describe the issue.  More often than not, it's something that will heal itself, but it could be a problem with the retina - and those sorts of problems should be attended to immediately.  If your doctor isn't available, please contact urgent care.  I hope it's nothing, but I really think you need to consult a pro now.

I had a fall recently and saw flashes - turned out I problem just jarred the 'jelly' in the eye, and it's fixed itself.  But, my eye doctor said anything like a veil, or having problem seeing, is cause for an immediate call.  They'll tell you if you need to come in. 

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you need to see a optometrist RIGHT AWAY. Sudden eye problems need immediate attention, sometimes it's not a big deal  but other times can get very bad very fast. People with a "wait and see" attitude can easily lose some of their sight permanently. I could tell you lots of stories... please get your eyes checked asap. 

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're probably too young for cataracts, but cloudy vision sometimes does come with cataracts.    i had cataract surgery a few years ago and it made an amazing difference. Two  years ago I had a partially detached retina in my left eye which needed surgery right away.  It's fine now, but I do have to watch it and see the dr regularly.

Please see your eye doctor a.s.a.p.      Will be thinking of you -- let us know what the results are.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an infection in my cornea several years ago.  I had been fine but suddenly my vision in my left eye was blurry.  I kept blinking a lot to try to clear it.  I first thought it was from my contacts so I took them out and went to bed a little bit later.  Figured it would be fine in the morning.  It wasn't.  It wasn't red or anything and I didn't notice that my actual eye was swollen till after I'd seen the doc.  I ended up on antibiotics and going through a lot of tests, including an MRI to be sure it wasn't anything with a nerve.  I was at the eye docs every few days for weeks!  It took about a month to completely resolve.  It took several months before I didn't carry eye drops with me in case my eye got that dry feeling too.  No fun.  But I am grateful my vision is back!

I've never been able to wear contacts comfortably since.  I can for a short time; but not all day like I used to.  I don't even bother anymore. 

I agree; call your doc ASAP Monday morning. 

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are never too young for cataracts! 

Other than being nearsighted I have never had any problems until about 8 months ago.  I'm sure it was a little more gradual than that but it seemed that I just woke up one day and noticed that I couldn't see very well especially in my left eye.  Over the next week it seemed that I was looking through a fog or cloudy water.  My vision was slightly doubled in the left eye.  I made an emergency appt. to see my eye Dr. only he couldn't fit me in so I had to see a new Dr. in the group.  He told me that I had dry eye and to use these drops and everything would be fine. 

I did this for the next month and everything was not fine, as a matter of fact it was getting worse.  Called back and they said "oh keep using the drops for another month and see if it helps".  My better judgement told me to go see someone else. 

I was refered to another ophthalmologists  by a friend and went in for an exam.  The initial thought was that I had retinal issues but on further exam showed that I had moderate to severe cataracts in the left eye and moderate in the right.  I was floored!!!  I had cataract removal and lense replacement in the left eye that day and in my right a week later. 

Keep in mind that I'm only 34 year old!! 

Your sight is so important and can be easily damaged so it's not something to wait around and see what happens.  Do make and appt. to see someone soon.  See an ophthalmologists "if you can" rather than an optometrist because you will probably end up being refered to one anyway.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you're doing!!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry hun, I have no advice apart from get to the doctors asap, your health is very important and your eye sight, extremely important. I hope you can get this resolved and it isn't anything serious.xx

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were in your shoes, I would have a doctor take a look ASAP just to be one the safe side! Hopefully, everything will be just fine! :hugs: :vibes:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would not wait, but would call a doctor.  I have incidents of losing vision in just one portion of one eye,  and grey  clouds that pass over my eyes(usually just one), obscuring vision in the cloud area.  In my case, the diagnosis  turned out to be retinal migraines (without headache). 

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it could be allergy eyes. Definately make a dr appointment, however try some Opcon-A drops found in the eye drop aisle @ WalMart -or any other grocery or pharmacy store. Walmart has a generic that runs about 4.33 a bottle.

Make the appointment, and try the drops in the meantime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies.  I have made an appointment to see my regular eye doctor, but unfortunately, he's not available until Monday, and he has a sole practice.   At the time I made the appointment I did discuss the possibility of retinal detachment or a tear.  I was told with these conditions there is a blind area where you can't see anything at all.  Another symptom was flashes of light, and I don't have either one of these.  One thing they throught it might be was dry eyes caused by envirmental factors.  It's been really windy here the last few days and also a lot during the winter months, with general dry air conditions.  I'm thinking about trying some artifical tear drops while I wait for my appointment but I'm not sure it's safe.  I will update when I know more.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this turns out to be nothing more than "allergy eye".  Good luck, and please let us know what the dr. says.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies.  I have made an appointment to see my regular eye doctor, but unfortunately, he's not available until Monday, and he has a sole practice.   At the time I made the appointment I did discuss the possibility of retinal detachment or a tear.  I was told with these conditions there is a blind area where you can't see anything at all.  Another symptom was flashes of light, and I don't have either one of these.  One thing they throught it might be was dry eyes caused by envirmental factors.  It's been really windy here the last few days and also a lot during the winter months, with general dry air conditions.  I'm thinking about trying some artifical tear drops while I wait for my appointment but I'm not sure it's safe.  I will update when I know more.
Can you call and ask if the allergy eye drops would be OK, or any of the other eye drops? I really think it sounds like allergy eyes, and not to sound pushy but-- - I get this same thing every year, during this time of year, it did concern me- until the eye dr said it was allergy eyes.

Artificial tears are just saline, it should be fine- but double check to be sure.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had the partially detached retina I did not have any flashes of lights.   Vision was very blurry and all the straight items (like a pole, etc.) were very wavy.    Maybe you can see another eye doctor, other than your regular one.  And sometimes they have an emergency "on call" dr available.

Hope everything turns out to be ok.    Even if it is something like retina detachment, surgery corrects it, and if it's cataract surgery that's such a simple procedure now.  And the results are just amazing.

Please let us know what happens - will be thinking of  you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:   I know what the problem is now.  There is a cataract in my left eye, and it isn't caused by old age,  I have been using Advair for quite a few years, and this type of medication can put people at risk for eye problems.   I have been referred to an opthamologist who comes to my town twice a month and uses my regular eye doctor's office to see patients which is really nice for me.  Some of you said cataract surgery was a really easy procedure to get through, and the people I have talked to are all saying the same thing and also saying very positive things about the opthamologist.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you at least have an explanation.  But why so suddenly?  Usually cataracts develop very slowly.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because Advair should have been pulled years ago, that's why- along with Levaquin (which causes heart attacks in 13% of patients, as it did my dad) . They make money, Advair has been known to have a black box warning for several years now. Glad you have an explanation.