Suddenly territorial

aeo0689

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my sugar baby for almost two months and shebhs become very aggressive and territorial. She doesn't want my other pets near me and randomly goes after them and members of the family. She had kittens three weeks ago, never produced milk and never had any contact with the kittens until two days ago when she killed the two females in the litter. Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her spayed, it should fix a lot of the behaviour you are seeing now.

If you live in North America here are a list of low cost or free places:

No Money For Vet Care?

Obviously you have the kittens separated. What you do next really does depend on what you wish to do with kittens. If you wish to keep them and once sugar baby is fixed and the kittens are old enough, you will need to introduce her to them slowly and with supervision.

There are some extremely experienced people here who can help you with information about caring for very young kittens if you need it if you post in the Pregnant cats and Kitten Care sub forum. 

How To Successfully Introduce  Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aeo0689

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She actually is spayed. Her kittens were born via c section and she was spayed after. We keep her separated from the kitten and also our other pets. She can't get to the kitten but she seeks out the others.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell me where you got her and her age and whether she has been checked out by a vet?

You mention that she has become territorial and aggressive. Was this a sudden change recently? Or did dis it gradually happen as she was settling in?

You say that you have other pets, and that she's aggressive with them when they are around you, can you tell me her relationship to them generally?

aeo0689

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was abandoned in my street, I brought her inside and while she was hesitant to go near the other pets she generally ignored them. She would follow me around a lot though. After having her two weeks she went into labor but after 24 hours no progression so we went to the vet. I knew she was young but they estimate her to be around 8 months. The attacking just came out of nowhere, she even chases my children and goes after them. She sometimes bites at me but if I tell her no she stops, but it only works for the kids if I tell her to stop, not if they do. I was very concerned when she killed her female kittens. She never paid attention to them in three weeks and then just killed them. Sometimes she ignores the other pets, she can walk past them and ignore them one minute and hunt for them the next. She really is sweet though, she is a very vocal cat and craves attention. I realize she's had a rough go of it but I wonder if this will change or she will always be aggressive.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a kitten, no wonder she hasn't bonded with her kittens, she's either not been taught or it's because she was either too groggy after the c section or both. 

sugar baby doesn't see your children as higher than her in the social order. Are they old enough to care for a kitten?

If your children are old enough it's important for them to do this. Feeding, grooming and caring for the cat will let the cat know their position in the order of things. The problem is that this will have to be done gradually, the children need to know the following:

They cannot be scared of her, cats sense fear which will work against the cat thinking it's under them in the social order. 

They shouldn't look directly into her eyes for more than necessary, this is seen as a threat to many cats;

They can't run from her, prey runs from cats.

It is better not to pet the cat unless it comes to them (eg rubs against their legs). 

I would have them begin by feeding her for awhile and gradually while supervising them, let them play with her with an interactive toy and feed her treats. Don't allow them to pet her until you feel that it's safe to do so and teach them to watch for signs that she's had enough. 

Some people swear by feliway to calm cats down, it doesn't work for others. It's really expensive, I would buy the spray which is cheaper and spray the places she uses most. You should get an indication whether the diffusor would help. There are also calming chews and other calming remedies for cats available.  

The people in the feral cats sub-forum are extremely knowledgeable and will be able to help you with any problems you may face. 

Last edited:

aeo0689

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!