Suddenly Suckling

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(First time cat owner)

My kitten is now about 3 months old. I first got him when he was 4 weeks old and very ill. About a month ago he started suckling and kneading blankets, clothes, etc anytime he gets sleepy. I’m sure being away from his mom at such a young age is where the behavior stems from, but it’s also a new behavior, not something he’s always done since we got him. Should I be worried about this? Could something have triggered the new habit?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, but wouldn’t worry, unless you signs of him actually ailing in some way. My cat is 15 and if I out down a very certain soft sweater, he gets to kneading, looking faraway and dreamy. I think all cats hanker for momma, from time to time!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, no need to worry, many many cats do this, even through adulthood. He may just have discovered that
a nice fuzzy blanket makes him feel good or reminds him of nursing from his mom. You just want to make sure whatever he is using doesn’t come apart with pieces he can swallow.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a female, about 3 1/2 years old. She started sucking on blankets within the last six months or so. You never know if or when they'll start that behavior. She was abandoned under my car at about four weeks old, so she definitely was cut off from Mom early. Perhaps that's why she smurgles.

The behavior is pretty much normal for cats. We had smurglers off and on since I was a little kid.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
(First time cat owner)

My kitten is now about 3 months old. I first got him when he was 4 weeks old and very ill. About a month ago he started suckling and kneading blankets, clothes, etc anytime he gets sleepy. I’m sure being away from his mom at such a young age is where the behavior stems from, but it’s also a new behavior, not something he’s always done since we got him. Should I be worried about this? Could something have triggered the new habit?
My cat is 6 and is still like that . She was a stray kitten taken from her mom 5 weeks old then came back a year old