Suddenly my cat can barely walk... :(

rainedbows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to who reads and responds, I'm happy I found this site and hope someone might have some ideas!

A little background. Sam is about 12-13 years old (was a stray when I adopted him). He's a big (not overweight!) 18 pound black cat. He's been in perfect health since I've had him. He's strictly indoors and has 3 other cat friends in the household who also stay inside with him. 

My cats were playing this evening, and Sam came staggering into the room and just kept backing up. I thought he was just playing around, but he couldn't stop. I looked him over to see if he had something in/on his paw or something, but nothing acted like it hurt him. He just acted like he couldn't keep steady on his back legs, but primarily his left side. I took him to the vet immediately and they took his blood pressure, which they said was normal but should have been higher for being at the vet and being stressed. He was also breathing rather heavy there, but when he was at home he was perfectly fine. They took blood work and everything was great. They did mention that his white blood count was a little off, but that could be caused by about 100 things. So I suppose we start testing for those things tomorrow.

He got home and started licking his wound from the blood draw and his bottom from getting his temp taken, but never his legs. He doesn't seem to be in pain when I feel around on him either, so I really don't think it's a pain issue. He went to eat his dinner and smell another cat, so he will walk but will wobble and stagger his way there. Again, back legs only. 

Has anyone heard of this happening? They put him on cardiokinase incase he has a bloodclot. They mentioned a stroke, but want to start testing for more things first. 

Also, I don't know if this could have anything to do with anything... but he has been caterwauling every night lately. He would do it once in a while, but the last two weeks it has been almost every night. He seems perfect and normal in every other way. 

Thank you so much for your replies!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they take x-rays?  He could have arthritis or something, or he could have something like an inflammed/ruptured disc in his back, both of those things can cause staggering like that.  Did they check for feeling in his legs? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainedbows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They didn't. They were more interested in taking x-rays of his chest... I didn't understand that. They also got the blood pressure from his hind leg so they assumed. It was a different vet and since it wasn't life threatening I just wanted to bring him to my normal vet in the morning for x-rays and further tests. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainedbows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got back from the vet, again. She took X-rays, which looked good and didn't show any issues. He also went to the litter box and ate like normal that morning as well. Sam's blood pressure was normal and no temp. She felt his leg that she thinks is bothering him and gave me some pain meds (Gabapentin). I still don't think his is in pain. I felt his legs over and over, and I got no reaction other than him eventually pulling back for me to leave him alone. The vet did the same thing, and after about 3 minutes of her pulling at his leg he did start to growl, I feel more out of being bothered than pain. He seems more unstable, especially in one of his leg, than he is in pain. I am keeping up with the meds, just in case this is the issue.

He is just sleeping most of the time. I keep offering water and water with a little tuna in it to keep him hydrated. I suppose the meds might make him tired, but he just isn't himself. 

He goes in again next Friday for a check up. But if anyone has other ideas on how to keep him comfortable or ideas as to what it could be, please let me know :( I miss my guy and I just want him to be ok! :(

mymonkey1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The same thing is happening to my baby.  He is 17 though.  I think it is arthritis yet it came on very quickly and he is in a lot of pain.  Make sure, no matter what, that you have him drinking either water or milk.  If he does not, syringe any into his mouth every 2 hours.  He needs to stay hydrated.  My doctor did blood tests and x rays and everything looks great.  He is on pain meds - Tramadol from the doctor, yet he hates it and it makes him foam at the mouth.  Vitamin D Milk is good because it has sugar and gives them energy.  I also give him colostrum, which is mothers milk.  He get's raw liver, raw organic steak and boiled chicken with dehydrated chicken sprinkled on it.  He will not eat on his own or drink.  I put the food in front of him and the water and then he will do so.  When he does not I use the syringe.  I also am now giving him Hyaflex, which is Hyaluronic Acid for cats.  It is for joints, bones and arthritis.  I dreamt last night that he was running around again like a kitten.  I am so sorry that we are going through this and I will keep you posted on any news that I come up with.