Sudden Unexpected Death...should I Autopsy?

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 13-14 year old (rescue) all black beautiful furry baby Woody died yesterday.

He was, to my knowledge, perfectly healthy. He had a vet check 1.5 months ago.

I have been away for over a month, due home in three days, but my SO saw him 2 weeks ago, looking perfectly healthy, before also going away.

My SO's parents, where he was staying for two weeks, said he died unexpectedly in his sleep last night.

Think I should do an autopsy?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would not. Many times the results are inconclusive. It's also very expen$ive .
I had a young cat that died unexpectedly and did the postmortem dissection. Results : Inconclusive .
I would save that money and use it for future Veterinary care . I was told that cats can die suddenly from a variety of toxins they encounter outdoors & sometimes indoors . They are especially vulnerable as they get old.
Sorry for your loss of kitty . I have quite a few "black beauties " myself .
Best wishes to you ... :bigeyes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I extended my condolences in your other post, but felt compelled to answer you here too. An autopsy would tell you the reason for death but really changes nothing, the outcome is the same. Please try to take some comfort that he died in his sleep, that it was sudden. They didn't find my Burt's heart problems until the vet said his heart rate was fast and they did an x-ray. He lived 5 more years after that diagnosis on medication for which I am thankful. The reason I am bringing this up is that you may want to have Silly checked the next time you bring him in.Especially if there may be a chance of congenital heart problems. Please kiss Silly for me, and I pray you find comfort in each other. My heart cries for your pain......

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere condolences and deepest regrets. I completely agree with the above posters about not performing an autopsy. RIP black beauty. :angel3:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Woody, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

No, Darlin. Let this go. Although 13-14 years is not a huge age for an indoor cat, it is geriatric, and any little issue that wouldn't bother a young cat would now be much larger. Unless you really think that some disease might have been at fault (and this just does not sound like that), and you have other cats at home who might be affected, just...mourn his loss, and let it go. Nothing will change his passing, which was peaceful, and gentle, and all that one might hope for a beloved family member.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Tiger died suddenly about 3 months ago. I did take him for an autopsy because he was only 10 and was seemingly healthy. The vet found he had an undiagnosed cardiomyopathy. I'm glad I decided to have an autopsy done because otherwise I would have obsessed over wondering what happened to him. Having an answer helped me cope better. I know they can't always tell what happened. It was a bit expensive, $200 for the autopsy and cremation. I'm so sorry for your loss.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
What would your ultimate goal be? Closure for yourself? Beating yourself up out of guilt for not noticing whatever cause is found? Ensuring there's no weird virus hanging around that could hurt the next cat? Medical research in case other close by cats are dying the same way?

You have to figure out why you want it done before you can answer if you should have it done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
~ I would not. Many times the results are inconclusive. It's also very expen$ive .
I had a young cat that died unexpectedly and did the postmortem dissection. Results : Inconclusive .
I would save that money and use it for future Veterinary care . I was told that cats can die suddenly from a variety of toxins they encounter outdoors & sometimes indoors . They are especially vulnerable as they get old.
Sorry for your loss of kitty . I have quite a few "black beauties " myself .
Best wishes to you ... :bigeyes:
Thank you for your advice, I hadn't considered the results might be inconclusive! I think you're right, skip the procedure, and save that money towards Woody's littermate and brother, Silly.

Black beauties warm my heart!

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I extended my condolences in your other post, but felt compelled to answer you here too. An autopsy would tell you the reason for death but really changes nothing, the outcome is the same. Please try to take some comfort that he died in his sleep, that it was sudden. They didn't find my Burt's heart problems until the vet said his heart rate was fast and they did an x-ray. He lived 5 more years after that diagnosis on medication for which I am thankful. The reason I am bringing this up is that you may want to have Silly checked the next time you bring him in.Especially if there may be a chance of congenital heart problems. Please kiss Silly for me, and I pray you find comfort in each other. My heart cries for your pain......
Thank you. Bless your Burt, I'm so happy you got all that extra time after his diagnosis. I think I keep denying that Woody's gone...and maybe think doing something, like the necropsy, would somehow bring him back. Right now I'm thinking I won't do it, I have until Dec. 26th to decide. I'll keep you all updated.

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What would your ultimate goal be? Closure for yourself? Beating yourself up out of guilt for not noticing whatever cause is found? Ensuring there's no weird virus hanging around that could hurt the next cat? Medical research in case other close by cats are dying the same way?

You have to figure out why you want it done before you can answer if you should have it done.
Good point, I think it would be nice to know if there is some way I can help his brother Silly, but also because it was so unexpected, some closure. That said, the results could be inconclusive, and if it was anything preventable than I'll just feel even more guilty. Right now I'm thinking I won't do it, but I'll continue to ask myself these questions.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, am very sorry for your sudden loss. :grouphug2:

In September 2016, I lost Cosine very suddenly at 11 years, 11 months old. His brother/litter mate, Tangent is sitting on my lap right now. I went through the should have, would have, could have period. That's very natural. I did not have an autopsy, but focused on making Tangent's senior years as special as possible.

Whether or not you choose an autopsy, do what will help ease your mind the most. You cannot make a wrong decision here. :hugs: Give Silly a big hug from all of us.

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing. The would have could have should have phase is strong with me, happy to hear it might end one day.

I am cuddling with Silly now. Well worth the redeye, connection, and six hour drive! You're right, focusing on him and loving him is all I should do right now. He is such a wonderful distraction from this terrible time.

Give Tangent a pet from me, so happy to hear he is doing well.

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences. I lost my sweet girl to pancreatitis earlier this month. It hurts so much it's hard to breathe sometimes, but we'll get through this.

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences. I lost my sweet girl to pancreatitis earlier this month. It hurts so much it's hard to breathe sometimes, but we'll get through this.
I'm so so sorry to hear that. The sadness is so strong right now for me. I know we will too, just wish time would speed up a little. Sending hugs