Sudden seizures in elderly cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just talked with the neurologist and this goes to show how messed up things are in the medical field for pets and people. She has no notes that my cat was to have an ultrasound first for her heart. Now the ER doctor told me last night that they could do that and the MRI today. This doctor told me ultrasounds in the morning are done for people with appointments. ER ultrasounds are done when they have time so by the time that is done it could be to late for the MRI. I freaked out then. I told her that's another $2-$3000 on the bill. She said no...it's $200-$300 per night. Told her i don't mind spending money but that was going to be almost $6,000 just for staying and they told me that much per night. Her bill right now is $481. Big difference from $2,-3000. She talked about doing a spinal tap if she doesn't have a brain tumor. It would check for infection. I asked about side effects. There are...brain bleeding, death..she will wake up and have a seizure and I told her no. This is the only way she said to check to see if she is epilipetic. It checks for inflammation. I told her the neurologist I saw yesterday told me since she is an inside only cat there would be no inflammation at all. This neurologist said no. She could have inflammation from her body attacking itself. I can't remember the word for it but I told her no spinal tap. I will go by what the doctor said yesterday. She also wanted to get my cat off two seizure meds. She should only be on the first one she was having. I told her the doctor yesterday told me she would be on the both. He gave me a giant liquid bottle of it and I mean giant. She didn't know what to say. I do know hospital doctors want to do every single test there is under the sun. More money for them. Gone through it myself and said no and the tests didn't need to be done. I've said yes to some and ended up worse off. I plan on letting her stay overnight if they do the MRI late. She is better off there sleeping off the medication instead of bringing her home and then who knows if she has a seizure from it all. This is why I'm so tied. Been last 6 yrs of fighting vets and going back and forth to the pet hospital and at times not getting help from them. Was supposed to take my other cat for blood work to have her sugar checked tomorrow but I changed it to Friday. Might have to change it to Monday but I'm thinking my cat will be coming home tomorrow for sure. And they wonder why there are so many mistakes in a hospital. With all these computers that were supposed to make things better I think they just make it worse. Only good if the person puts the right information in for the next one. They said she did good overnight. No more seizures but can I believe them? When I and my dad were in the hospital, they told family the same thing when it was not true. I've lost all faith in any medical profession. That's the update anyways.

Last edited:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just talked with the neurologist at the hospital again. Ultrasound says part of her heart is enlarged and some valve isn't quite right which was a birth defect and that it controls the blood flow which causes the murmur but said she was ok to do the MRI. She also wants a chest xray done to make sure it isn't cancer and I told her fine on that. She also said if she sees something on her brain while doing the MRI which is due to inflammation they will call me while she is still under to see if I change my mind about the spinal tap. I told her ok. She said the chances of it being inflammation is very low. The neurologist office from yesterday called me back and won't go against another doctor. He turned out not to be what I thought he was. So at this point I'm just going to have to go with what they hospital tells me. I can only hope for the best because at this point I want to jump off the nearest bridge but I can't. I have to keep going on for the cats but 6 constant years of trying to decide which doctor is right which is wrong is getting to be to much.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please take care of yourself in whichever way you can right now with all of this stress continuing. You need to try to get some sleep, eat something nourishing if you are having trouble with your appetite, and understand that you are doing the maximum for your cat that you can. You are watching her every step of the way and are completely in control of her care, despite all the confusion and irregularities. You have not caused any of this to happen and are making very clear decisions.

You have managed to get her to the point of the MRI, US, and possible spinal tap and will get some answers when this is over.

Seizures are always complicated in cats or dogs. There is almost never a straight forward and quick answer; often symptoms don't add up and you have to resort to the diagnostics you are using in order to get some resolution. Let us know what you find out.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a disaster. I am so sorry for you. :hugs:
I hate the waiting game. But try to remind yourself that there's nothing more you can do until you know more, and for now action is being taken to see if anyone can figure out what is causing all this.
For you: For dehydration, I love the Ultima brand electrolytes. Plus, they taste great. Also, liquid magnesium oil (I use NOW brand) rubbed on any area that's cramping can really be of help. This also can help you relax, mentally, and it helps with sleep and sleep quality. 6 years is too long for you to have to put up with all this. Sending more hugs...

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to pick her up this afternoon and I am so mad at that stupid floating filling in vet at my vets office and the Neurologist I saw on Tuesday! No one told me the truth on everything she would have to go through and that stupid floater vet didn't even tell the Neurologist everything. If I had been told how this all was going to go I would have put her down on Monday. The hospital Neurologist told me to begin with that a spinal tap is done (no one mentioned this to me with the floater or the first Neurologist) to check for inflamation. I told her not to do it because the other Neurologist told me it could not be inflammation because she is an inside cat only. She said her immune system could cause it but she said she will call me if she sees something that needs a spinal tap. My cat will still be under while she talks to me and I told her ok. If it was a tumor then no spinal tap at all. No news is good news is what she told me. I hoped and hoped not to hear the phone ring but it did. She has a bright area on the back of her brain. She can't tell if its inflammation or a mass of some kind. As much as I did not want to do a spinal tap on my poor cat I said ok. Went this far and no since in saying no. She did ok with the whole process and they said this morning she hasn't had a seizure and she's eating and up around. Will find out the answer to the test but I already know. It won't be good news. She said the test could come back negative and then her along with other doctors will have to decide what kind of mass it is. Cancer or not but I'm sick to my stomach. I let someone push me into doing the MRI because I thought what hurt could it do? Money means nothing to me but if I had known how this was all going to go I never would have done it. I'm stopping to get Pedialyte on my way there because I couldn't drink much water yesterday because I had to wait for her calls and I won't be drinking much with my cat home. How do I go to the bathroom and watch her? Took a bath this morning and will be my last for I don't know how long. Figured I'm good for a quick shower after she has her medicine. I"m so sick to my stomach and angry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are getting as much information as you can and, in retrospect, may feel better that you did, especially since your cat came through all the tests successfully. I don't know if putting her down on Monday would have left you thinking that you should have done the tests; it can be a slippery slope once you have time to think about everything.

Once again, please try to take care of yourself. What you don't need is for you to fall sick with your cat needing care.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are getting as much information as you can and, in retrospect, may feel better that you did, especially since your cat came through all the tests successfully. I don't know if putting her down on Monday would have left you thinking that you should have done the tests; it can be a slippery slope once you have time to think about everything.

Once again, please try to take care of yourself. What you don't need is for you to fall sick with your cat needing care.
Exactly, especially not falling sick when she needs you. Pedialyte is a great idea to keep on hand for you, and if it's unflavored, she can have it too if needed. If you can't eat enough, please at least keep a bottle of water of your preferred temp with you and sip on it. Dehydration is no joke and you could land yourself in the hospital!
My soul dog was incredibly sick and I remember feeling how you describe. Doing routine chores was a nightmare. Going to town for errands was one of the most gut wrenching and terrorizing things, I put things off for weeks because I was so scared to leave him. It felt like my stomach was boiling with anxiety 24 hours a day. At one point I left him sleeping soundly in his favorite place, and went outside to mow the lawn (a 45 minute job). When I got back in, he was still sleeping soundly in the same chair, and hadn't even changed positions. I really think he just slept through it and didn't even realize I had left.
If your cat is a cuddler and doesn't object, my vet told me to hold my little dog close to my body and keep my hands on him, at least until we both fell asleep. I think this helped us both. You could also play some of the sleep music you can find online, they might not make you sleep but they are incredibly relaxing to listen to.
Sending you, and your cat, hugs. :hugs: :petcat:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to post what happened on Friday but my brain feels like it has been hit by a train over and over and every time I thought about posting it shut down. I am very very very thankful I did not put her down. Went to pick her up Thursday and was really expecting bad news because they had to do the spinal tap. The Neurologist had her MRI on screen, and she explained the whole thing. When she was done I told her now I understand it all and wished I would have jsut taken her there and talked with her face to face but it all started with a simple MRI and that turned into ultrasound and when I finally talked to her she added on the Spinal Tap that could kill her, cause seizures (which I didn't want more on top of what she already was having) and death. I was such a basket case and tired what she told me on the phone was like another language. She agreed with me and hates talking to people on the phone because most of the time it never goes well. The spinal tap did have to be done. The spot on her brain they couldn't tell if it was from swelling, or a mark left by the seizures she had. I don't remember her telling me on the phone about marks being left by seizures but I'm sure she did. Since the spinal tap came back negative it meant she just has a seizure problem. Man, how happy I was, and it felt like a weight came off my shoulders. I was expecting bad news and putting her down the next day and how I just tortured her and for what? Why she does she doesn't know but cats are known for having health problems and especially elderly ones. She tested her blood to see what the phenobarbital level was and it was really low so she increased it a lot. She also added on Keppra but this is only for the next 3 weeks. She wants her only on the Phenobarbital but it takes 3 weeks to get enough in her system. She will have the Keppra twice a day for the next two weeks and then once a day for the 3rd week and then no more. Blood work end of the 3rd week to see what the Phenobarbital level is and to see if she has anymore seizures. I hate doing it this way and would rather leave her on both meds but it has to be done this way. She told me not to panic if she has a seizure and don't bring her back to the hospital. Only bring her back if they last for 5 minutes or longer or she starts having clusters ones again. The Keppra will be used as an emergency medicine for her. If she has a seizure give it to her every 8 hrs for 48 hrs. For the next 3 weeks she will be very sleepy and she sure is. Most all she does is sleep but with time that should change once her body gets used to the medication. The day I was going to get her I set up the doggie playpen for her to stay in. Can't let her walk around on her own. She wobbles like she is super drunk. And I set up the other doggie playpen I have in my bedroom so she can stay in with me and I can go to bed instead of sleeping downstairs. All was good until yesterday at 12:30 pm. She wouldn't eat anymore or want to walk. I get her out at different times of the day so she can get some exercise and since the weather is good I will carry her outside to their enclosed play area. Called the hospital to ask the Doctor about this but they couldn't get a hold of her so off to the hospital I went with her. Really didn't want to make that trip again and I was supposed to take my other cat to the vet to get her sugar level checked but I called and canceled it. Will try to get her in next week. When I got there of course it's the same thing....going to be a 3-5 hour wait but because I called ahead of time and she got the note she had me taken right back to her. I was so thrilled about that. I'm tired and driving home at 1:00 am in the dark is not anything I want to do anymore. She checked her all over. Oxygen level was 99% which was good. Reflexes everything and the little stinker ate for them and when she brought her back into the exam room she set her down and she walked around the room like nothing was wrong. :rolleyes: I told her she didn't act that way at home and I have the same food they gave her that she ate for them but not me. We all were laughing. ha She said that elderly cats it takes longer for the sedation medicine to leave their bodies and then with upping one medicine and adding the other that's why. She said as long as she does eat within 24-48 and she will wake up when you touch her she is fine. If she stops eating all together and I can't wake her at all then her doses will have to be changed. What a load off of my mind. I was also supposed to get a refill on her high blood pressure medicine but I didn't make it to the vet so she did up enough for 5 days. I tell ya she is the best doctor ever. She also didn't charge me for that visit so all I had to pay was $17 for the medicine. I do think going to the Neurologist who worked for himself was a big no and that is why it didn't happen there and I had to take her to the hospital. Think it would have had a bad outcome. Also, by doing all of this I found out why she suddenly started to go blind 2 years ago. The old vet said it was a gene she was born with and nothing could be done. Left there 1 month later. New vet said her eyes were fine. Took her 4 months later due to meowing more and that different vet said brain tumor and just give her fish oil. Didn't believe her at all. Brought her home and I googled the causes and high blood pressure can cause it. Called them back and took her for them to check and sure enough she had high blood pressure so I'm the one who diagnosed her! Then a few months after that she had a small heart murmur. They told me no big deal. I found out yes big deal at the hospital. The heart murmur was caused by her high blood pressure and the heart valve that the blood passes through has a leak. I would say it was a big deal. Right now it doesn't need to be addressed but she is to have blood work for it every 6 months and if it gets worse heart medicine. I have been taking her along with her mother and other sister for blood work just about every 3-4 months for other problems so lucky that way but I'm thinking how I spend so much money on vet bills they should have had a whole lot better care! I will be home with her for a month or month and two weeks. The next 3 weeks I don't have to worry because she's on both medicines so I am going to try and rest, sleep, take cat naps if I can or just relax while watching TV while I crochet. I make stuffed toys to donat to Toys for Tots at Christmas. I also have a ton of housework to get done. My house is starting to look worse than Herman Munsters house. :runaround:I also have pumpkins to bake up to cook into pumpkin butter to freeze. I use it for baking and then all I can do is hope when she is off the Keppra things go well and if she does have a seizure stay calm. So, I learned a lot this last week that I had no clue I would be learning, and I am hoping my story can help someone else who might be going through this. Thank you so much everyone for the help. :petcat:It's good to know I have a place I can turn to for help.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly, especially not falling sick when she needs you. Pedialyte is a great idea to keep on hand for you, and if it's unflavored, she can have it too if needed. If you can't eat enough, please at least keep a bottle of water of your preferred temp with you and sip on it. Dehydration is no joke and you could land yourself in the hospital!
My soul dog was incredibly sick and I remember feeling how you describe. Doing routine chores was a nightmare. Going to town for errands was one of the most gut wrenching and terrorizing things, I put things off for weeks because I was so scared to leave him. It felt like my stomach was boiling with anxiety 24 hours a day. At one point I left him sleeping soundly in his favorite place, and went outside to mow the lawn (a 45 minute job). When I got back in, he was still sleeping soundly in the same chair, and hadn't even changed positions. I really think he just slept through it and didn't even realize I had left.
If your cat is a cuddler and doesn't object, my vet told me to hold my little dog close to my body and keep my hands on him, at least until we both fell asleep. I think this helped us both. You could also play some of the sleep music you can find online, they might not make you sleep but they are incredibly relaxing to listen to.
Sending you, and your cat, hugs. :hugs: :petcat:
I have actually gone to the hospital for dehydration a few years back and that is why I bought the Pedialyte. I had 6 cats 6 years ago and sadly I lost 2 of them since (all 6 came 15 years ago) so I've been going without sleep because of all of them. I worry someday more than one will be sick and how would I take care of two? 3 of them now have medication twice a day so I have everything written down and concentrate so I don't mess up
and a system now. I had the same problem in September when her first seizure started. Since she had been good for a few days figured I'd get the yard mowed. I mowed for about 3 minutes ...stop...come in and checked on her. It took me super long time to get it all mowed and must have done 50,000 steps and she slept all that time. She isn't a cuddle cat. Only two are but I do know I sleep better with the TV on so if I have to sleep downstairs with any of them being sick, I have learned to leave the tv on low. It's only a catnap here and there but that is better than nothing. I was always a dog person because I had a lifelong fear of cats but with 6 cats coming all in one year that was a sure way to get over that fear. ha And I learned fast how the name "crazy catlady" was found. :banana1:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know what appears to be good news, finally! I have known people who have had success with Keppra in their dogs and cats, so hopefully the meds will sync and work for her. Very true that older animals do not clear any sedative type medication from their systems as easily as a young cat would. What happened at the ER was not unexpected as she was less "under" the meds at that time, but how were you to know that? Once again, you acted on her behalf.

I am very glad to hear that you have a few plans for yourself for some activities that you enjoy.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When mine was so sick in late August/early September, before he passed, I took to sleeping downstairs with the TV on low and a lamp left on. I'm very surprised you mentioned this sleeping arrangement! For me it's like it provides this somewhat soothing, low droning sound that helps me not be alone with my thoughts, and helps me get to sleep better than the dark, silent room I've slept in for years.
Haha, "Crazy Cat Lady"! Welcome to the elite! :winkcat:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was the start of cutting back on her Keppra. She only gets it in the mornings. Now I'm terrified she will start having seizures again during the night or really early mornings. How do you ever stop worrying???? I did have another talk with the Neurologist. She said I was doing everything I could possibly do for her and not to walk on eggshells. If she has another one just follow the instructions with the Keppra. A lot easier said than done. :( I dropped my other cat off to my vet's office for the day. The one who has head twitches. She didn't twitch once while there and when I talked to the Neurologist about my cat with seizures about this cat twitching, she didn't have a clue what to say about it. She would need to see her doing it. Told her I've tried getting a video, but she only does it when she's really relaxed, and she knows I'm trying to video her. I don't know what to do with her now. I haven't slept much at all last 3 nights. I am listening for the one in my room just expecting her to start seizing and now the other one with the head twitches to start having seizures. I'm a nervous wreck. Maybe I just need to start drinking? :frown:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might ask about adding b vitamins to the cats diet that has the head twitches.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure I should say anything this late into the narration, but I wanted to let you know I know how you feel. When my completely-healthy 18-year-old developped melanoma, I spent those 5 months not sleeping (or sleeping in chunks of 2 to 3 hours). I'm an amnesiac, but even for my standards it was bad.

I know people tell you to take care of yourself but I have a better argument regarding sleep: Because I was so drowsy, I couldn't think and made very dumb decitions. I let others take the wheel - and those others were most often than not vets, who, I won't lie to you: made horrible mistakes (mistakes that diminished her quality of life) and malpracticed (to the point they made a manageable situation unmanageable).

Sure, I relinquished control because I was scared shitless. But through all that, I blamed myself for not being in the right state of mind to listen to my gut and trust my own observations.

So moral of my story: "Sleep, if not for yourself, for your cats. They need you awake." is what I tell myself now anyway.

Btw this isn't the reason I came and read everything. The truth is my other elderly (16 years old) rescue has had similar behavior about going somewhere alone and then vocalizing as if calling me. He intermitently losses sight. He does not have seizures but has arms twitches that vets associate with nerve damage. RMI showed atrophia of his memory lobes (back of the head). And recently has made a turn for the worse (but not sure if relates). I just wanted to ask you to keep us updated, and ask if any of this looks/sounds similar to your girl.

I also relate to your objectives of not wanting them to suffer, but not letting go if they still have the will to leave. It's what killed me when saying good bye to Sueño (my previous, the one with melanoma)...

On a related note: Right now, among other things, I'm giving Gremlin (current guy) a cream that contains antiinflammatories (corticosteroid)+ antibiotics (gentamicine) + miconazol (antifungal said to help with nerve damage), applied to the ear. I don't trust this as a long-term thing, as it's a paliative, not treatment (and I'm worried about medically-induced Cushings). But it seems to alleviate the pain (?) that causes him to walk funny or hide.

And I'm a mess of confusion and vets are well-intentioned but not helping lol. So yeah, I relate.

Sorry about the long rant

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was so stupid in the beginning because I trusted the vets at the old place. Always heard they have to go to vet school longer then doctors so you were better off going to a vet for health care and I have found out it isn't true at all. My first cat they caused health problems and it's a long story but she only made it 11 months. She became diabetic suddenly and they didn't know why. I found out later it was due to all the steroid shots they gave her and they gave me the cheap insulin that is only for dogs to give to her. The new place I am going to actually saved my cat who has the head twitches. She suddenly became diabetic december 2020 (old age for her) and they actually did save her. Plus, the old place would do things without asking me first. I do think it's a gamble on which vet sees your pet for which sickness and if you managed to find the right one for them. From the sounds of things, I am not the only one going through this which is sad.
The cat with the twitching doesn't have seizures. Her daughter is the one with seizures. This cat was diabetic and then wasn't diabetic and then suddenly her sugar shot up to 541 after a year of no insulin and I think because of the store bought dry food I started giving to them. Vet said it was ok. Put her back on all canned and it went back down to 147. I still think her sugar spiking that high made the twitches but no one knows. Without seeing her doing it they can't tell me. She still does it but not all the time.
I'm a worry wart since I was a kid and with age it has gotten worse. After my first cat was put down, I got up 3 times every night to check on them with a flashlight. Ticked them off because I kept waking them up and I still worry they will die overnight, and I will find them in the morning. It's hard shutting my brain off and I even have medicine that is supposed to put me to sleep but it really doesn't. I'm trying so hard at this point not to have a nervous breakdown and then sometimes I think why worry? It won't change anything. What is going to happen will. Would help if I had just one person who actually cared and could help out just to watch them so I could get a couple hours of sleep. That's all...........I cry because I so want to sleep.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was so stupid in the beginning because I trusted the vets at the old place. Always heard they have to go to vet school longer then doctors so you were better off going to a vet for health care and I have found out it isn't true at all. My first cat they caused health problems and it's a long story but she only made it 11 months. She became diabetic suddenly and they didn't know why. I found out later it was due to all the steroid shots they gave her and they gave me the cheap insulin that is only for dogs to give to her. The new place I am going to actually saved my cat who has the head twitches. She suddenly became diabetic december 2020 (old age for her) and they actually did save her. Plus, the old place would do things without asking me first. I do think it's a gamble on which vet sees your pet for which sickness and if you managed to find the right one for them. From the sounds of things, I am not the only one going through this which is sad.
The cat with the twitching doesn't have seizures. Her daughter is the one with seizures. This cat was diabetic and then wasn't diabetic and then suddenly her sugar shot up to 541 after a year of no insulin and I think because of the store bought dry food I started giving to them. Vet said it was ok. Put her back on all canned and it went back down to 147. I still think her sugar spiking that high made the twitches but no one knows. Without seeing her doing it they can't tell me. She still does it but not all the time.
I'm a worry wart since I was a kid and with age it has gotten worse. After my first cat was put down, I got up 3 times every night to check on them with a flashlight. Ticked them off because I kept waking them up and I still worry they will die overnight, and I will find them in the morning. It's hard shutting my brain off and I even have medicine that is supposed to put me to sleep but it really doesn't. I'm trying so hard at this point not to have a nervous breakdown and then sometimes I think why worry? It won't change anything. What is going to happen will. Would help if I had just one person who actually cared and could help out just to watch them so I could get a couple hours of sleep. That's all...........I cry because I so want to sleep.
I had something similar happen. I had one to the vet for very minor thing that likely wasn't a problem but I wanted to be a Good Owner and take them to the vet just in case. He was given something for it which created a non-stop cycle of vomiting, lethargy and weight loss that ended up in surgery and we still couldn't figure out what the problem was. I switched vets and he pinpointed the issue and it resolved completely.
I have found that taking Vitamin B1 (not a complex, though I'm sure that wouldn't hurt, but just plain thiamin) can help quiet my mind. IDK if it's some nutritional deficiency or what. It doesn't act as a sleeping pill, but it can help your brain take on a calmer state. I take mine as nutritional yeast. I'm not sure where you sleep or where your cats sleep, but would it help to do more co-sleeping in the same room? When mine are sick, I sleep in the same room with them so I can hear them in the night, and it makes me feel a little better because I sleep light as it is and I figure if they need help, I'll wake. Please take care of yourself.