Sudden seizures in elderly cat

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am hoping someone can give me some help and hope. In early December 2020 my cat (she was 13 years old at the time) started to suddenly go blind. They did blood work and told me she inherited the gene for it and nothing could be done to stop it. I left that place middle of the month which is a long story. New place said (did blood work too) it was high blood pressure and she's been on medicne for that since. I took her to that same place last year (she was meowing more often) and saw another vet and they said it could be a brain tumor. Don't bother to take her to the pet hospital because nothing they could do but they tried to push this special one of a kind fish oil for her. That would help her for sure and it was a one of a kind fish oil. It sounded like she was trying to sell me snake oil from the old days in a wagon. She also wanted to stick a Q-tip up her nose which I told her she was not going to do! I didn't believe them and I paid for blood work again (she had blood work 3 months before) because they said things change but if I wanted to just take her home go ahead. Didn't believe that vet and and when I talked with the original vet they said highly not. She would never last that long if it was a brain tumor. For the last 3-4 yrs she started meowing for no reason. She would just stop and stand in the middle of a room and do her cat meowing call. No one could figure it out. Well, now when the seizures are over she does that same cat meow call so I'm thinking this all started then, and it has progressed to seizures now. The vet told me only way to figure out what is causing them is MRI and if it is a brain tumor surgery. Told them no. She's 15 yrs old and I won't put her through that. If she was young, then yes. I did research it and the only hope is surgery, chemo or radiation and they have to take fluid samples from her brain to see if it's cancer. No way I'm doing that to her at her age and what are the chances she doesn't end up with brain damage just from the surgery? They started her on Phenobarbital 1/4 pill twice a day. Everything went great for a month and then they started up again. They increased it to every 8 hours Thursday morning (8 am..4 pm...midnight) and if she has a seizure in between doses give her extra dose. Thought everything would go good now. Every time before I could tell the medicine wasn't helping because she would start to meow more and become hyper. When the medicine works she's quiet. Last night I was getting ready for bed and she was doing great. Gave her bedtime treats and bam! She had an awful seizure. Worse one yet. Took her much longer to come out of it. She also pees with them too. I didn't have a towel on hand to put on her back end so it wouldn't go all over her. I am asking if any of you have had a cat with seizures can you tell me how it went and just how long before putting them down? I know it's going to happen but I'm hoping not for a long time. I've spent the last 6 yrs taking care of my fur babies (had 6 to start with) and trying to get them better and 2 of them it didn't happen. One did survive 1 1/2 yrs but then she passed a blood clot and that was the end and the 2nd I found out suddenly she had cancer. I really can't take anymore. My nerves are shot and I'm so tired. Haven't slept for the last 6 yrs too and I do mean that literally. I'm up with them because they are sick or I can't sleep because of worry. Could someone please give me some hope????

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm sorry you're going through this 😔

The only things I can think of would be to find a cat-only vet if the clinics you've been seeing aren't, and/or consult (either you or your vet) with a university medical veterinarian department.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry......but your precious girl is 15 years old and at the end of her life. Cats that live to 19 and 20 are exceptional, like a person that lives over one hundred, it just doesn't happen often. I agree, just do what you can to control the seizures, make her as comfortable as you can, and pray. If she is still eating/drinking/seemingly without pain, just love her. If she is losing weight, hiding, and not enjoying any aspect of her life anymore, it would be cruel to let her go on. One day one of the seizures will be too much for her and she will go. I am a RN and can tell you from helping people with seizures, they have NOT had any memory of what they went through, unaware of seizing. So that is a blessing. My heart breaks for what you are going through, please just hang in there a while longer and do everything you can to love her. We are always here for you if you need to talk. Bless you for loving her so much......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the end is coming soon for her and my other 3 cats. Her mother is at least 17 (was a stray) and her two other sisters. My cat who died suddenly from cancer was at least 19 or older. Neighbor left her behind so I didn't really know how old but just figured she had to be so old when they moved in. All of my dogs lived to be as old as they could and the oldest almost made it to 19. I just wish for once they would die peacefully in their sleep. That's all I have ever asked for but it never happens. They never told me she could die suddenly from the seizure. Just it can damage her brain, choke and pneumonia which I already knew about. I am really hoping she doesn't remember any of them. My goal with all my pets is to give them the best life I can and have them live as long as they were supposed to. I try to remember their lifetime was already set when they were born just like people and nothing I can do will stop that no matter what I do but my brain doesn't think like that. Plus, I don't like playing God and I have had 2 of my pets who fought being put down.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do want everyone to know I won't let her suffer just like the rest of the pets I had. When the end was there I had it done no matter how much it killed me to do it but I won't give up on her until the medicine does nothing for her. Plus, I have people tell me putting her down is wrong. They did the same thing with all the other pets and it sure does not help me mentally. 4 1/2 yrs ago after I put my cat down people kept telling me I didn't give her a chance. There was a medicine that had a 20% chance of helping her but she had so many other health problems they said it wouldn't be good to even try. She almost died before a few years before this but due to bad vets. What else can I do? They don't have ICU for pets and not one of them helps me with them. I've asked in the past years and I hear they can't. They have all excuses and yet they tell me how evil I am for killing them. Same way when my parents needed help and my grandmother. I was the only one who helped. I went without sleep for a long time being the care giver. I actually haven't slept much at all for the last 25 yrs but the last 6 yrs has been non-stop with my cats. Then the same people telling me putting them down is wrong are the same people who told me to pull the plug on them when the time comes and yet I'm supposed to let the pets suffer? What's the difference with pulling the plug and putting them down? I told them sooner or later one of those seizures is going to cause her to be brain damaged or they won't even stop which means she is going to die horribly. I won't let that happen to her. It's like part of my brain holds out for hope and yet the other part of my brain knows there isn't any.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree completely with you. Out of 50 cats or so, i have only had one die in their sleep. You are not 'pulling the plug' you are helping them not suffer. Never have guilt for ending suffering. You have to have bad intent to have guilt, your only intent is to love and help her. Death is never easy, every living thing fights against it. Go by how she is acting. You are the best one to know when enough is enough. Not a vet, nor any other person knows her as well as you do. Just love her and hold onto her till the end, she carries your love in her heart and it will help her.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is an epileptic and when I say to her: “I feel so helpless when you have a seizure,” she always says the best help anyone can give her is just to be there when she comes out of them, as it’s so disorienting and scary. It’s true, you don’t remember siezures happening. Not getting sleep for six years though makes me think you need to take a time out -however brief- and carve out a niche just for you. Whether that’s a cat nap, a bath…just quality time. Worrying about the cats doesn’t help them and it doesn’t help you (Easy to say, I know. it is hard to turn off the ‘worry button.’). But remember, getting enough sleep is huge if you need to drive them to the vet’s & you need to stay calm & drive safely.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Going back to your cat who passed 4 years ago, a 20% chance of a medication or procedure helping is not good odds. 50% is bad odds. You most certainly are not killing any of your cats because you release them from their pain and only you are in a position to evaluate what needs to be done. Don't let other people get in your head on this very sensitive subject.

Seizures can be irregular and hard to interpret. Do your best to see what you think is best for your girl. To answer your question, I did have a very young street rescue cat who had contracted Cryptococcus on the way to finding me to rescue him. He had massive seizures, followed by sudden blindness and I did let him go, despite his young age. There was no way forward by that time.

Was the severity of last night's seizure infrequent and has it repeated itself? You certainly might observe her to see where it might be headed before you make a decision.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If people and 'friends' ask what happened to your cat, just say, "Her heart stopped." It will be the truth and all that anyone needs to know. Those people you mention live for the single purpose of being judgmental and stealing your energy. This is none of their concern. This is you giving your precious cat the greatest gift you can give her.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just had another one at 6:25 pm. I saw that one coming. She started licking her lips. This was just as bad as last night. It takes her 5 minutes to come to where she can stand up and now when she stands up it isn't a quick back up and walking normal. When this all first started she was getting 1/4 pill every 12 hours and everything was good for a month. I thought it was working and all would be good. Now it seems she's having one every day even with the medicine. She had one Wednesday at 1:30 am. Vet increased it 1/4 pill every 8 hrs. She had another one last night at 10:00 pm and now today at 6:25 pm. There is no reason for them to start. She had a good day. She slept most of the day...went out in the pen for a little while and I was there with her. She was peacefully sitting at the window watching the birds and such and suddenly it all happened. Will see what the vet says Monday. Increase her medicine or add that other one to it but I do know I will not let her die that way. It's to hard and if she has one at night or on the weekend and she doesn't come out of it there is no place I can take her. Vet hospital is 1 1/2 -2 hours away.
I can't calm down. Have always been a worrier even as a kid and then the way I was brought up. Death talking all the time. My parents were going to die all the time. I was always told when someone is dead you never see them again and THAT is the one that I think about ALL the time. I don't believe in the after life anymore but I do hope there is a rainbow bridge. I try really hard to keep their daily life normal as can be. Two years ago I started hallucinating at home and the grocery store. Last year I started falling asleep standing up baking and I thought that only happened on TV and this year I am trying not to fall asleep while mowing and that's with a push mower and that was before her seizures even started. I'm hoping she will be good now for the rest of the night. Gave her the extra dose and her main one is at Midnight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a good person. Somehow you will find your way, you are too sleep deprived to function. Is there anyone at all you could ask to help, even if it was to wake you up if something happens? I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers......

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad she had a quiet night, and I hope today and tonight will be quiet so you can both get some much needed rest. Your story with her, the previous several years, and your lack of sleep hurts my heart for all you're going through.
Can you ask your vet about Denimarin? It's a liver support product that sometimes is paired with epilepsy medicine. If she was good for a month, then the seizures started up again, this could potentially help. I work in pet boarding, and have seen a lot of animals on this and for the most part, it does give them extra time and good quality of life.
As far as the people giving you this kind of "advice"....seriously, what the hell is wrong with them? Do they have no conscience, or no brain cells? You do NOT need people like this right now. You live with your cat, they do not. You know and love her, they do not. You are there with her during every seizure and see how bad it is, and they do not!! I had to have one put down years ago, he had a 5% chance of surviving surgery that would have given him 3-6 months at best. Had anyone said, "Well, 5% is still 5%, you didn't even try" I would have tore them a new you-know-what. Why? Because I saw what he was experiencing, and they did not!
You deserve people who love and support you, not tear you down for something that IMO is none of their damn business.
Sending you tons and tons and tons of hugs.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called vet office and took her in to be seen. They upped her med to half a tablet twice a day and told me most cats end up with 1/2 a tablet twice a day and are fine. Couldn't say for sure she wouldn't have anymore break through seizures, but they are hoping this will help stop them. Also, they gave me liquid rectum Valium in case she does have one to help stop the seizure fast. I told them I need something to use at home because they always happen at night/weekends, and I couldn't get her there fast enough anyways. I also told them I want to take her for a head scan. I won't make the decision to end her life without one and I can't take anymore of not knowing. Can go without sleep but the when will the next one happen and if it will keep getting worse. MRI is more expensive then I thought it was going to be. They weren't sure since I will be taking her to another place but figure between $2-$5,000. I was thinking high end of $1,000 but I will do it. Charge cards are for that reason and then if she does have a tumor and there is nothing more for her then I will put her down. I didn't get a 2nd opinion with my one cat, and I have regretted it ever since. Found out the vets weren't as smart as I thought they were. Made 3 misdiagnoses in 2020 and I left December of that year and found this knew place. 1 of them would have died by the end of December if I had not left. Kept telling me she just had arthritis when she was diabetic. All I can do now is wait and see what happens and hopefully with her med increase no more seizures. At least this way too she's back to just twice a day and no more staying up to midnight. I fell asleep last night sometime after 11:00 and I woke up panicked thinking her medicine her medicine. I woke up right at midnight. Thank you all for your help. It means a lot to me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing everything possible for her, much more than many people would. The cost of an MRI is enough to make that option prohibitive for many pet owners. The price you have been quoted is within standard range. I hope that possibly the change in medication will help and it is good that you have the Valium on hand. Please keep us posted.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even with the medicine increase she still had a seizure. :( I heard a thud in her bedroom at 5:30 this morning. Grabbed the valium and went running. Sure enough she was having one. The valium was a waste of time. I couldn't see or feel where her butt hole was. I'm guessing while having a seizure she is clinching it closed? The place where she will be seeing the neurologist and having the MRI called me last night and she has an appointment this afternoon at 1:00 instead of waiting until Nov. 2nd. I thought she would have no more seizures with the increase in medicine. The vet made it sound so promising and she had one. I have a sinking feeling my little fur baby won't be coming home alive unless they know of something better to stop them. I had so much hope yesterday when I left the vet office and that hope is all gone now. At least it didn't last as long and she came out of it faster with the increase of the medicine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
MRI is today? Please let us know what happens and remember that you are doing all that you can for your baby. Administering the valium has to be tricky, and more so when a seizure is happening or has just happened.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The MRI never happened!! I"M soooooooooooooooo ticked off at my vet! They never told the neurologist she had a heart murmur. He wouldn't do the MRI until a cardiologist checked her heart and their cardiologist is only there on Mondays and are booked until Nov. 7th.He checked her reflexes, muscles and things and said she's good that way. She walked fine so she is ok other than the seizures. She could be epilipetic now and not a tumor but he did say a brain tumor did not make her start to go blind 2 years ago. (One of the old vets said it was) They only last 8-9 months with a brain tumor but that doesn't mean a tumor isn't causing the seizures. I also found out that the seizure med she is on is not really good all by itself for seizures. I can't remember all the names but there is a better medicine for it and it gets added to the one she has now. The medicine has to build up in her blood before it will really take effect. My vet never told me any of this. I did ask about that other seizure medicine yesterday and they said they normally just keep upping the med she is on now first. While I was talking to him my sweet little baby started having a seizure in her carrier. I got her out (crying) and handed her to him. He pushed down on both her eyes to close them and that shortened it. He stayed calm and I was a crying mess. This was 5 hours after having her medicine. I worried all the way there ( 1 1/2 hours) if she would have one and now they are called cluster seizures which changes the whole thing. He now suggested leaving her at the hospital for 24 hours to see if she can go without having another one with the new medicine and if she did have one the hospital would be giving her more medicine for it. He said I could take her home and see what happens if I wanted to instead. I told him no. As much as I didn't like the idea of leaving her there the thought of bringing her home and having another seizure terrified me. I'm not a wimp. I've learned to do many things medically over the years for my cats but this is way beyond what I can do. I have no way of saving her if it happens again. No place I can take her and the hospital is just 3 miles from this place which means 1 1/2 hour drive to try and get her there to be saved. Told him I will take her to the hospital and leave her. :( He did give her that new medicine after she had the seizure and he said it lasts 8 hrs. He called the hospital and told them we were coming. It took 3 hours to get her admitted and they will be doing the ultrasound on her heart sometime in the morning. The ER doctor told me if I wanted to they could also do the MRI tomorrow. I told them do it. The other clinic couldn't do it right away and I'm not putting her through anymore traveling or seizures anymore and I want to know. I can't take it anymore of not knowing and if it is a tumor then I'm just torturing her. So, the price has jumped to maybe $6,000. Had to put $3,000 down but it is only money. I can pay it off over time and I just do not want to put her down without knowing first. I have a way to pay for it so I'm going to do it. I know most people thinks it crazy to spend that kind of money on a pet and with her age even stupid more so but I don't care. If they can spend money on cloths, trips ect I guess I can spend money of my fur babies. I am going to try and get some sleep tonight. Not sure how it will go since this is the very first time she hasn't been here but I know when she comes home I won't be getting any sleep unless she sleeps and nothing happens. Oh, I also found out since she was never spayed her hormones can make serizures too some how. She had a hernia operation when she was 3 or 4 months old. The vet who did it told me he didn't want to spay her at the same time because it would be to much on her and I fell for it! To do that operation all of her insides where right there! And since she never went into heat I never did that to her. Didn't want to put her through a surgery she didn't need. Now how I regret it so much. I was just so stupid back then. Today did not go at all like I had planned but at least tomorrow I should have all the answers. I'm just hoping they are good ones. If she is elliptic I can handle that. It's just a matter of getting the medicine right. I will post after I find things out.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just looking at times for her two new meds. The new seizure med is given every 8 hrs. I'm trying to decide if I stay up late to give it to her at 1:00 am or do I get up early so I can give it to her at midnight. Not sure how much longer my body can go without sleep. I feel awful and I'm shaking from nerves. Did get a little sleep last night on and off. TV went off on its own. Woke up with a panic attack and started having leg cramps last night because I'm really dehydrated. Can't drink water when I go places so yesterday I had none until I got home, and I didn't drink much or else I would be in the bathroom all night. Drank some this morning but I have to go get her sometime later this afternoon or early evening so I can't keep doing that or I'll never make it there. Not a lot of places to stop for a bathroom. If they don't call me by 10:00 I will call them and see what is going on. I know the specialist have to get there first and then scheduling for tests. Just like in people hospitals. A lot of wait wait wait.