Sudden Onset Nosebleed In Senior Cat

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all...my senior cat who had surgery about 5 months ago and had a 100% clean bill of health before and after including a blood panel had a sudden inset of one nostril having a nosebleed, and a fairly serious one at that. He does seem to have a buggery nose on the other nostril ...has anyone had this happen? this had happened each night after i go to bed, without bleeding during the day for the last two nights...i am taking to the vet Sat but was wondering if anyone has had a cat with a nosebleed before and what it was caused by? I am extremely anxious and worried I have had him all his life and he is fixed, vaccinated, micro chipped and indoor only his whole life

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have experience with the bloody nose, but by buggery do you mean his nose seems plugged up?
If so, I was wondering if you could put him in a bathroom with a steamy shower for 10 minutes or so, a couple times a day.

Did you have a chance to explain to the vet what is going on? Are you sure you can't get them to find an earlier appointment, as in tomorrow? This, in my mind, is urgent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well no by buggery i mean i can see mucousy snot being blown in and out with his breathing but not crusty..I cannot get him to the vet until sat i have a very demanding job that i cant get away from

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try the steamy shower anyway, the warm steam might help that snot break up a little more, poor baby.
Hang in there!

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im just really nervous bc i have never encountered this and 90% of the websites say it could be some terrible disease and 10% say its most likely a bad sinus infection...i keep thinking if he had a disorder they would have found it

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your vet aware of the problem, and knows that the nosebleeding is a reason for your upcoming Saturday vet visit? If not (e.g. if it is for just a regular check-up), I would let the vet know what is happening and ask if he/she may have more advice for your cat prior to the Saturday appointment.
(Is there no way to get him to an ER vet during your off hours from work, prior to Saturday?) :redheartpump:

Your cat --being 18-19 years old-- is actually a geriatric cat (older than a 'senior' cat) and health problems can really come on quite rapidly in senior and geriatric cats. I would really try to keep the vet informed during this week with how your cat is doing, and contact them right away if there are drastic changes.

Hope everything will go well!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it bright red blood or more of a rusty color?
Also is he sneezing it out and what sprays out is discolored or is it dripping from the nose?

Bobsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's all bright red and dripping and yes he is sneezing bc cause of it as well as rubbing at his noe on the offending side...I did let the front desk at my vet know whats going on and I cannot afford an er visit at all..trust me i love him more than anyone will ever know but if i dont have money i dont and no one will take him without money

and he is already fixed for many many years

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is fairly concerning. Maybe not ER but first thing in the morning or sometime tomorrow would be good. There is also CARECREDIT you could apply at.