Sudden hair loss on back of legs

edupuis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time here - any insight appreciated!
I have a 9 year old male (completely indoor) cat. He recently has dime sized hair loss on the backs of his legs in the same spot. The skin is not red or scabbed over in any way.

Recently switched his food to an all natural dry food and I also feed him a portion of can food daily. We also transitioned him to a walnut based litter. Both transitions were done very slowly and over the course of a couple of months. Litter transition not even complete yet.

Also, my husband and I are installing a second bathroom in our home. My father comes to work on the project when we are not home at times (my cat knows my dad but does not see him more than a couple times per month). Also, I'm pregnant, although I'm about 6 months along so it's not incredibly new.

I'm not sure if any of these things are causing the hair loss but they are the things that come to mind. Any insight greatly appreciated!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edupuis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I took him to the vet today just to put my mind at ease, really. She said the same as you, well...that it is probably because he is overweight (13 lbs and should be 10 lbs) and sitting on hardwood floors. We have rugs in nearly every room but I suppose it's inevitable that he sits on the hardwood at some points. He has always lived in a house with wood floors so at first I didn't think that could be contributing, but she seemed to think so. I feel better about it today - thank you!