Sudden Energy

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My kitten has recently reached 4 months old. And i still haven't figured out it's behavior, So i thought of asking for help.

So, I have a brother that's 7 years old. He's the smallest in the family. And he likes the kitten. He likes petting it and stealing it behind my back. He also doesn't care about it's feelings and threatens it by telling the kitten that he'll buy a dog to eat it. Because it doesn't listen to his commands. And currently, I can't move out from home at the moment. So i'm dealing with a kid who thinks the the kitten will like him though he has accidentally and on purpose hurt it. So, The kitten is usually locked in my room with food; Water; Toilet; Toys and a me to spend time with. And when my brother is asleep, I let the kitten to roam the house. Look at birds from out the window. Do little adventures. And keep an eye for the kitten, Too. Of coarse.

The thing is, When i put the kitten back to my room it starts running around the room, Biting my feet and hands.Making noises, Too. Then settles down after 15 minutes or less for food or sleep. It's so sudden and i don't understand any of it.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat will never listen to his commands, so,he will be pretty disappointed if he thinks that will ever happen.

The activity is pretty normal,for this age. I have a girl the same age. I just try to play with her through it then give her a treat. She is really bad in the morning, when I don't have time, but at this age they are like toddlers or maybe teenagers because they are getting hormonal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicenyans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat will never listen to his commands, so,he will be pretty disappointed if he thinks that will ever happen.

The activity is pretty normal,for this age. I have a girl the same age. I just try to play with her through it then give her a treat. She is really bad in the morning, when I don't have time, but at this age they are like toddlers or maybe teenagers because they are getting hormonal.
I've told him that multiply times. He never listens. Oh well.

Oh, Well, Does it stop at a certain age? and should i play with my kitten on this energy?

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Actually with treats, he could probably clicker train it.  It may be more work than he's looking for, but could give them something fun and safe to do together under your supervision.  :)  Hunter knows sit, stand and come.  He enjoys it because he gets turkey and listens about as reliably as my dog growing up did at the same age.  I used the same methods to train him as I used to train my dog.  The key is making kitty want to play along

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, Well, Does it stop at a certain age? and should i play with my kitten on this energy?
If your cat is healthy, it will continue playing for almost all of it's life. Silly is 14, has had an eye removed due to Feline Herpes, and I see her frolicking with Julie (7) and pieces of paper, furry mice and my hands - not biting, but still playing with them like a kitten.

The best thing is to not use your hands to play with it, but some cats as adults have learned not to bite and scratch.

You need to keep your kitten as far away from your brother as possible. His behavior, if not checked, could lead him to be a cat torturer and killer.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Artemis is right, I have seen trained cats. My cat is actually pretty food motivated, so I could see her being trained. I have never quite got clicker training.