Sudden Drooling

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant believe I'm writing about another sudden problem with my cat, but any help will be great. My cat that's 4/5 years old has been excessively drooling for potentially a few hours as I only noticed it just. Hes an outdoor cat and when he came home i noticed he had some stuff around his mouth, but thought nothing of it. Went to see him and he had been sleeping, but he seemed off to me for some reason. My assumption is that's hes either in pain or tired or possibly both. He is making really strange noises with his jaw, almost like grinding, but it entirely. Its difficult to explain. I checked his mouth and he let me which is what got me thinking that something is upsetting him. I couldnt see anything wrong with his teeth or gums or mouth, but then again I'm no vetenerian. He moved out of his box onto the carpet and moved again, which is when I noticed a patch, about the size of a small cookie, of what looked like he had drooled. There was nothing wrong with him beforehand other than the fact that he had lost a bit of weight, but we put that down to him roaming around all night for days in end (he does come home for food). I tried to give him some water and he tried but then started making those jas noises. Please help, the vets doesnt open for a few hours.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him in. It could be anything from a bad tooth to a mouth infection or oral ulcers. Unfortunately with the mouth of a cat, there is a lot that can go wrong, especially under the gumline where we can't see. I feel your pain- my mom just had to take in her housecat and one of her semiferals for mouth ulcers.

I hope he feels better soon!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he either has a bad tooth, causing extreme pain, thus the drooling and grinding, or he got bit by a wasp/bee, (look for a pimple like bump or swelling) or he could have got into some kind of poisonous substance and is having a reaction. He may have fallen, got hit by a car even. If it doesn't seem to get better in a few hours a vet visit is definitely indicated. Please keep us posted!

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a broken tooth, in my cat's case; get thee to the vet!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Ksblue

How is your cat going did you take him to the vet for the drooling, i hope he is ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Sorry fir not replying at all, i went abroad for a week as my mother looked after him for me. I took him to the vets thw following day and it turns out he had a huge cut on his tongue in the shape of a zig zag!!! Never seen it before, but apparently it could be due to fighting or trying to eat a rat...
Hes doing very well and all is healed. Very glad ot wasnt anything serious!! Thank you for all your replies, i did manage to read them but not reply. It rrally urged me to take him ASAP

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you found out of cause of the drooling ! thank god it wasnt more serrious situation. :hyper: