Sudden Change In 4y/o Cat's Behaviour

mrpickles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3532.JPG
^^ this is smudge!

hi all! I'm a newbie here, and I have a bit of a problem.
My 4 year old male cat Smudge has had a sudden change in behaviour and it's affecting the other animals in our home. Smudge has never been keen on dogs, but has always been civil with other pets and grew up around both male and female cats, yet we have had to separate our 7 month old male and Smudge due to Smudge repeatedly attacking him - resulting in minor injuries for both the younger cat and myself. Smudge has never been an aggressive cat - always extremely affectionate towards all humans including strangers, and always civil with other animals. So this behaviour is new. Smudge never had a problem with Mr Pickles (the 7 month old male) when we were introducing them gradually and tended to ignore him. But since Mr Pickles has been neutered Smudge can't be in the same room as him without attacking.

As well as this sudden aggressive behaviour, Smudge (who is a white cat with green eyes - not born deaf) has recently been very jumpy. If someone comes into the room Smudge immediately runs and hides, and then asks to go outside as soon as possible. Any sudden movements and Smudge is gone in a flash, waiting at the nearest door to go outside. He never used to have issues like this, and I'm wondering if maybe he is losing his hearing and becoming more and more skittish about his surroundings due to this.

Is it worth bringing him for a vet check up regarding his hearing and change in behaviour? He's up to date with all vaccinations and is in great health otherwise.

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will bet that this happened when Mr. Pickles left, came home smelling different, and now Smudge doesn't know who he is anymore. Although it is distressing to us, it happens. A LOT! There is a name for it, and we have an article about it, and we know what to do! READ ON!

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

With cats, you get a do-over! Basically, you re-introduce them as if they had never even laid eyes on each other before, and you do it with patience, letting them set the pace for this. It might take days, or weeks, or even months, but it can be done!

I'm going to include our articles on introducing two strange cats, as the process is just the same!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

I'm sure that you can do this and get your guys back to happy co-existance!