Sudden black stool

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just today, my 3 month old kitten had a black-brown stool which instantly worried me since I have read that black stools might signal internal bleeding. The stool wasn't soft and loose and my cat is pretty active and didn't skipped meals. I was also thinking if it was because of his vitamins (Himalayan Immunol) or because I recently stopped feeding him dry food and switched to boiled chicken and squash. I also posted a picture of his stool. Can anyone help me identify if this is alarming?

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your Dvm maybe bring the sample and show them. I can’t tell from that picture if it looks like it could be what you’re worried about. I know that about the internal bleeding too. I will tell you my cat Quinn, who is a purebred Siamese cat, has very dark poop and there’s no bleeding going on. That’s just the way it is. I don’t know why... no one has ever been able to give me an explanation for it.

Maybe it is the vitamin you mentioned. There are certain medication’s like Pepto-Bismol. They can turn your stool dark.

I hope your kitten is OK. Take care.🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask your Dvm maybe bring the sample and show them. I can’t tell from that picture if it looks like it could be what you’re worried about. I know that about the internal bleeding too. I will tell you my cat Quinn, who is a purebred Siamese cat, has very dark poop and there’s no bleeding going on. That’s just the way it is. I don’t know why... no one has ever been able to give me an explanation for it.

Maybe it is the vitamin you mentioned. There are certain medication’s like Pepto-Bismol. They can turn your stool dark.

I hope your kitten is OK. Take care.🤗
Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it and I do hope it's nothing serious since I still can't send my cat to the vet because I am on a tight budget for now. It was only today when my cat pooped a black-brown stool, and he only pooped once today too. My cat is persian by the way.

Kelvin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just today, my 3 month old kitten had a black-brown stool which instantly worried me since I have read that black stools might signal internal bleeding. The stool wasn't soft and loose and my cat is pretty active and didn't skipped meals. I was also thinking if it was because of his vitamins (Himalayan Immunol) or because I recently stopped feeding him dry food and switched to boiled chicken and squash. I also posted a picture of his stool. Can anyone help me identify if this is alarming?
Find a white paper and put the stool on it and drop some water on the stool, then look the water colour.
If you see red colour in the water, there is blood in the stool, if brown or green colour in the water, you can consider the stool is normal. My vet teach me this method long time ago.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes please check with your vet. Send them the photo.

Cat poop colour.png.jpeg