Sudden Aggression

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
History: 6 1/2 years ago, we adopted 2 sweet 3 year old sisters, who we named Winky and Dobby. Aside from an occassional spat here and there, they get along very well, cuddling often. They are spayed since we got them, and are indoor only cats. Every once in a while, a strange cat (different ones) shows up on our back porch, where they can look into our slider. My girls hate other cats and the yowling and screaming commences. Once the strange cat leaves, they calm down and life goes on.

Last night: A stranger kitty (orange tabby) showed up, and the yowling started. Most of the stranger kitties run when I open the slider, and it's over, but this one wanted to come in! I didn't let him, but he wouldn't leave right away, either. Well, Winky somehow saw Dobby as the threat (I think), and proceeded to attack her. The fight seemed to end, and we all went back to bed, but then Winky attacked Dobby again. then Dobby became fearful and upset. Dobby finally settled on my son's bed, and Winky on ours, and all seemed okay...until my husband got up for work at 3:45am. As soon as he opened the door, Winky hunted Dobby. Each time, Dobby would cower, and spit and growl. My husband shut Winky back in our room with me, and when I got up at 6, the same thing happened. I also had to clean up some pee (Dobby's?) off the floor. I shut them each in their own room for the day, each with litter, water and food (and a warm comfy place to sleep, and a window).

Today: When my husband got home from work, he let the cats our, and though Dobby was angry, fearful and hissing, Winky was mellow. On my way home, a picked up a Felliway plug in, and when I got home, I plugged it in. By the time I got home, the 2 were fairly comfortable with each other, and I gave them treats, while they were sitting near each other. I fed them in the same room, and all was well....until Winky attacked again, I now have Winky in a room for the night, with Dobby able to roam, and now she is on our bed. Tomorrow, I will switch them around, and keep them separated while we're at work. When we're with either one of them, we make sure to be calm, and show affection to each.

Any advice? We will be moving in a few months, and would really like them to be able to be together. It's why we got 2 cats...so they could keep each other company when we're not there!

Thanks for listening,
Erin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Changed my avatar to a picture I took last week.  I want them to be like that again!

Erin

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone?! Help?

Winky no longer seems interested in attacking Dobby, but Dobby thinks that every time she runs up to her (to say hi), she's going to...so she hisses and backs away.  We've only done supervised visits, and for the most part, they're going okay.  But when Dobby reacts as if she's going to get attacked, I separate them, and help them each to calm down. (Though Winky really doesn't need it...she's been calm). I'm planning on keeping them separated when we're not home, and at night, for another week or so.  Do you think they'll forget about it in that time?  Is there anything else you think I should be doing?

Thanks,

Erin

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
This does sound like redirected aggression due to the strays outside.

More often than not, going through reintroduction steps with the cats works out well and the cats are able to be back together. You'll need to follow your cats' ques on how quickly to proceed through each step.

Also, if the strays are just coming up on the deck, you may need to keep blinds shut so that your girls do not see the outside cats. If the issue continued to get worse, you might consider (humane) deterrents to keep the strays away and peace in your home.

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to report...my girls are friends again!