sudden aggression while out on leash

maxwellbarnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought our cat outside, and he's adjusted to the leash and harness, but today he freaked out and attacked my husband. Scratched his face up pretty well and we don't know why

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We brought our cat outside, and he's adjusted to the leash and harness, but today he freaked out and attacked my husband. Scratched his face up pretty well and we don't know why
It sounds like he was scared or it was redirected aggression. Is he neutered?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@maxwellbarnes   Yes, sometimes things outside can be really frightening.  I would say he saw/felt/smelled something that made him insecure.  That can lead to redirected aggression.

[article="32390"]Re Directed Aggression In Cats​[/article]  

[article="29673"]Cat Aggression Toward People​[/article]  

Hopefully it's a one-off thing.  I hope your husband's face is ok! 

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he's adjusted to the leash and harness, but today he freaked out and attacked my husband.
Some more narrative as to what happened in the run up to the attack would be helpful. Other than that, it has to be said that leashes might have a downside if the cat is spooked by something. If the cat cannot scarper away from something it perceives as a threat because of the leash, its reaction is going to be unpredictable and may include attacking the person holding the leash. in order to be set free to deal with the threat.