Sudden Aggression Towards People And Cats

Lsabo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My lovely black cat, Chewy, is 5 years old and has a younger brother who is 3. Both were adopted from the same shelter a few months apart and we've had them for a year each. After the initial shock and up until this point there hasn't been any aggression in either cat.

In November, we moved from and apartment to a house and we have noticed there is an outdoor cat in the neighborhood and a few raccoons here and there. My cats have never hissed at each other and they play together every day followed by cuddle sessions and licking each other.

My older cat was recently diagnosed with feline asthma and I know us forcing medicine in his mouth may have caused some anxiety. Since we've stopped the regimen, his aggression hasn't followed. He forces the other cat out of the window sills, cat beds, and even our bed. He caterwauls a lot more now, scratches the carpet, and will almost scream if we don't open a window for him. He also started hissing during the night and morning if you touch or get close to him.

I'm assuming this is all misplaced aggression but I'm hoping someone will have a similar experience and offer some advice on how to control this behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lsabo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for the response! We have a catnip spray we use to distract him sometimes and also a scented plugin. The plugin is advertised for calming in multi-cat households. He doesn't play as much as watch my other cat play. He is more of a prowler, definitely feels in charge.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe talk to your vet and see if there's something a little stronger, maybe like a kitty Prozac for a short while?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, is there any way to stop the roaming critters from coming around? Motion activated sprinklers might help quite a bit.

Lsabo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is a very good idea I will have to look into it if we can't seem to ease the aggression. Thank you for all of your replies they have been very helpful!

Lsabo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the infamous trouble maker! Hopefully he’ll start being a little calmer.