Sudden aggression to owner

bex 78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat (almost 2yrs) turned up today after going missing Saturday, as it had been snowing I'd kept my cats in but the biggest managed to get past us as we answered the door, he ran off up a tree which he usually does after being kept in for any reason. Spent the afternoon trying to get him in but there was no sign of him anywhere, by night time I assumed someone must have taken him in for the night, due to the weather as he is always back by 10 pm without fail. Asked neighbours etc and no sign of him so for a few days I've had no idea where he was. Anyway he turns up this afternoon on the fence, dirty, skinny and a bit jumpy so I'm guessing he's been locked in a shed or garage the while time, so have given him food, water, and just left him to calm down a bit. Tonight tho he came and sat with us for a fuss but when my 12 year old son went to stroke him he bit him, my cat had always loved a fuss, sleeps at the end of the kids beds and has always had a really good nature so this is very out of character, decided he may need time to get used to the kids again do suggested we just leave him to settle, however as we all getting ready for bed the cat hisses and growls at me, then hisses at my daughter ad finally after everyone settled he jumped into my 12 year old sons bed and bit him again for no reason. I've now had to shut him out of the bedrooms to be on safe side, I just don't know what to do with him, is it just a temporary phase after his dissapearence or is it something more, I just don't know what to do

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, maybe he was abused by people, maybe kids your son's age, while he was gone? It's impossible to know what, if anything, happened while he was gone, but it sounds like something did that's causing this behavior. Is he being normal with your other cats?

I think if you give him time and space, he will return to normal. I would try to keep him indoors for a while.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor kitty.  It's hard to say; but I'm guessing he is scared because something happened to him.  Do you have a space you can give him to settle down in?  A cat tree or perch up high where he can watch everyone?  Does he seem to be in pain?  Cats are very good at hiding pain; but perhaps the spot he touched hurts or something like that?  I would give him some time and consider a vet check if you think something might be causing him discomfort.  Tell your kids to keep some distance and use lower voices around him for a while.  I do think it's good you've shut the doors to their bedrooms for now.  

I hope this is just a one night thing for you.  Update us and hopefully we can help figure out what is going on!   

isabelvic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please visit your veterinary.  Maybe he is in pain and he can't express himself in a different way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bex 78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got vet this morning with him just to get him checked over, he could have been without food or water for 5 days, will let you all know how we get on.