SUCRALFATE-CARAFATE ?

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I had a scare today with one of my kitties when i got home and saw he was drooling a good amount of saliva? Or water? It was clear not foamy or mucusy. Anyway so recently we’ve had to change his diet to the hills multicare urinary care (the vet said his PH balance was off and there were some crystals ) today would have made about a week since changing his diet. I thought I did everything right by mixing his old food into his new food. And even before this I’ve changed the kind of food that we give him and his brother, we might get a little loose stool but never drool! I decided to take him to the vet because we had sprayed Raid (for cockroaches because we live in NY) and we thought he might have gotten poisoning from that. We sprayed it inside the cabinets that they have no access to, but I worried that somehow they had breathed it in. I should mention his brother also had loose diarrhea that day. So after calling poison control and confirming with them it most likely wasn’t the raid, we did xrays and he had just done blood work literally 3 weeks prior that came positive. She told me he had nausea, between all the chaos i forgot to ask what caused it. Anyway they gave him an injection of CERENIA INJECTION and went home with a weeks dosage of SUCRALFATE-CARAFATE. I just want to know if anyone’s experienced something similar to this. Also for those cat parents that are more acquainted with cat medication, would the prescription that I was sent home with actually help? I looked it up but i found that it’s for ulcers? She didn’t mention that he had that which i feel like she would have . I don’t know, im so freaked out because i feel like im introducing him to so many new dietary changes and I don’t want to make it worst.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry your cat is going through this.

I am surprised that poison control thought that the Raid spray didn’t cause any problems. I knew a cat that died from ant spray. But, good that they said it’s ok.

Did they tell you to give the sucralfate/carafate as a slurry? Or just ask you to give it as a pill? If they prescribed it, you should give it. Although, you don’t want to give it at the same time as other medications, as it can prevent some meds from working. Usually it is given at least an hour prior to meals or 2 hours after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sag1841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry your cat is going through this.

I am surprised that poison control thought that the Raid spray didn’t cause any problems. I knew a cat that died from ant spray. But, good that they said it’s ok.

Did they tell you to give the sucralfate/carafate as a slurry? Or just ask you to give it as a pill? If they prescribed it, you should give it. Although, you don’t want to give it at the same time as other medications, as it can prevent some meds from working. Usually it is given at least an hour prior to meals or 2 hours after.
they gave me a pill form to cut up in halfs, to give to mouth. Also poison control said that since the raid was from Sunday, if it was that we would have seen symptoms right away. Idk if they told me that to make me feel better I'm not sure.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, it’s poison control. They don’t care about your feelings.😺 They just do their job. Mostly.