suckling problems! :\

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to think it was cute, until now.

I currently have a foster kitty, 4 months, who has a BAD suckling problem. She won't suckle anything but my other kittens, and she does it nonstop.

It has gotten to the point where I have to separate her all the time, because the other cats are BLEEDING. 

I don't know why the others let her do it, but everytime I look at one of the kitties they have a wet belly. But now the blood is making me real anxious. 

I've tried giving her all sorts of alternative things to suckle, I made a little pacifier, I give her blankets and have tried all sorts of nipple-esque things, I've tried playing with her a lot, but she quickly loses interest and prefers to watch the other cats play. 

She's finicky but eats her kibble fine, but at least drinks a lot of water, and eliminating fine. No health issues at all.

She was NOT separated from her mother early, but she's had a few environment changes in the last few months. Oh, and her sister was separated from her recently at the shelter, b/c she had to be treated for ringworm. She is used to being at the free-roam shelter with other cats, but then again, she's never been the HAPPIEST cat.

She is also the calmest, chillest cat. No aggression at all.

It seems to always happen after we cuddle. She starts purring and then within a few minutes she starts looking for a teat.

Is kitty stressed out? What can I do? I've been separating her but she looks SO wistful.

(I bought bitter apple but haven't used it yet.)

Thanks!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe the only way to stop it is to discourage her. Stop looking for alternatives to suckle. Continue separating her from the other kittens the second she starts it. Using bitter apple (and other similar products) to make skin taste bad may help but make sure it is safe. Distracting her is also helpful.

It is likely she is stressed so try using calming remedies like feliway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! :)