Sucking helium out of balloons? LOL!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love doing it, my granpa used to do really funny voices at parties.

Are you guys getting it confused with whipits? it doesn't kill anything unless you inhale enough that you don't get any oxygen (ie the same brain damage possible from any kind of asphyxiation)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I love doing it, my granpa used to do really funny voices at parties.

Are you guys getting it confused with whipits? it doesn't kill anything unless you inhale enough that you don't get any oxygen (ie the same brain damage possible from any kind of asphyxiation)
Inhaling ANYTHING other than oxygen is dangerous. Here's a link that gives info about it.

I have a high stroke risk as it is.

Just because you don't "get high" from inhaling helium does NOT mean that it isn't dangerous.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Inhaling ANYTHING other than oxygen is dangerous. Here's a link that gives info about it.

Just because you don't "get high" from inhaling helium does NOT mean that it isn't dangerous.
thank you. Kids get enough ideas about things to huff, let's not add to that list.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never been a big fan of doing it, but hubby does it sometimes when deflating a balloon.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my co-workers were doing this in the office a few months ago...definitely not appropriate at work!!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HA! At a place called COSI here (super popular science place), they had an exibit and in one area they had this little thing that would puff out helium into a cardboard tube in your mouth so you can have a high voice LOL, weird that its harmful.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Reports of two people out of the millions who have done this... Nobody is trying to convince you you should do it, but forgive me if I'm unconvinced. If inhaling helium were a drug, they'd call it extremely safe by those odds.