Such a dilemma (kinda long)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And as for my post earlier showing kittens advertised on Craigs list, I just talked to the woman who rescued them and she caught both moms, spayed them (and all the kittens BTW) and let the wilder mom go back out. The friendly mom she's gonna keep!
I'm so glad people like this exist. Thank you all for your dedication to animals.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The point is to investigate the person advertising the kittens. Why do they have kittens in the first place? What kind of care are they getting? Have they been to the vet? How well do they investigate potential adoptees? Do they make people sign contracts to have their animals spayed/neutered?
These are the things to look for. Shelters do the best they can under horrible circumstances. They are often over crowded and underfunded. Because of this, I advocate supporting them. But yes, helping a smaller rescue group, foster parents, etc is also contributing to the cure, rather than the problem.
Avoid anyone who has policies that contribute to the problem. Tell them that's why you are adopting elsewhere. Encourage them to change the policies you disagree with.
My problem is with those giving out free kittens and BYB. I have a problem with Oops litters too, but accidents do happen and as long as the people are learning from the mistake/accident, they can be a place to adopt from too.
People aren't necessarily BAD just because they are irresponsible or not educated about the ramifications of their actions. People can change.
There have been numerous posts about people on CL adopting out kittens that are way too young, are BYBs, not screening potential adoptees well, not getting the kittens vetted, not taking proper care of the kittens.
Obviously, those are the people to avoid but, if you don't want to, then don't. We all have free will. If you don't like the advise people are giving you, don't follow it.

Good luck!

Devlyn

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior67

I just have a question for those that say to go to a shelter etc.

some have said they found a preg. stray or a litter of feral kittens etc. do you bring these to the shelters to find homes for them????
Yes. When I have been in that situation and when I am again I do what I can personally with them and then work with a local shelter to help re-home them, spay/n, and give them their shots if needed and health checks. I did write in another post though I understand this is not always the case with people that take in other kittens/cats

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
miao_kitty, that sounds like a terrific solution. Do you know if you'll be adopting one of the kittens from those two litters?