Successful weight loss for kitty on Urinary Tract prescription diet food?

fostermama018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My 4 yr old kitty, Ava, is working on losing weight (unbeknownst to her). She recently weighed in around 11.8 lbs. She is on Hill's Science Diet Urinary Tract prescription food. They recently came out with a Urinary Tract & Metabolism dry food which has less calories per cup which we are transitioning to. She eats the urinary tract prescription diet wet food in the morning, about 30-40 calories worth, and then dry for the remainder of the day, totaling about 120-140 calories per day. Sometimes she leaves some dry kibble in her bowl, which is why the calories aren't specific. I am keeping track of her calories per day and weighing in every Monday morning. The weight loss hasn't been consistent, though. Can anyone give me any advice or point out anything I might be doing wrong?

I foster cats as well, and am constantly having to put their food down for them, take it up, put her food down, etc, so she most likely has snuck some of their food in the past when I was a little less vigilant as I am now. Do you think if I keep reducing the calories (but eventually stopping at a calorie number where I see her still losing) that we will be successful?

Here's her pic..she's lovely! I just want her to be a healthy weight.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She truly is a beautiful girl! :love: Have you considered giving her more of her ration as wet food? Because it already has the moisture in it you're able to give a bigger portion for the same calories, and that portion is also more satisfying for the cat. I honestly think wet food is an invaluable tool when feeding for weight loss. I would also suggest that ALL the cats are on timed meals - that way it's easy to make sure everyone gets the right food.

Don't forget the role exercise has to play in weight loss. Giving her one or more interactive play sessions each day will really help her burn off some of those calories. If you're able to give her some time away from the fosters, a treat ball for part of her kibble ration might help too.

As a general rule - when feeding for weight loss I first determine what the cat's ideal weight is. I then feed the amount the pack recommends for that target weight.

Personally, I'm unsure as to how valuable the 'moderate calorie' versions of foods are. As I understand it, they're basically higher in fibre - so you're basically feeding for bigger poops! I prefer to use tricks that boost hydration, such as adding water to the wet food, and offering flavoured waters (such as liquid chicken has been poached in) as a broth. These feel like a treat but contain very few calories. They have the added advantage of compensating for the dryness of kibble, and hydration is all important when dealing with a urinary issues.

[article="22311"][/article][article="29715"][/article][article="30756"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermama018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken your advice and now do about 2/3rd of her calories coming from wet food, and 1/3rd from dry food, as opposed to what I was doing. I dont know why I didnt think to make sure more of her calories were coming from wet food! Thank you for that idea. She was weighed today and her weight remained at 11.8 over this past week-better than a gain! I will continue taking your advice and will maybe even do 100% wet food on the days I can. 

Have you found a treat ball that works for a cat? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I've been working on getting her exercising more with a laser and also at certain times she loves to race after her toys/balls, so trying to seize the moment when she's feeling wild. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its great that the slight dietary change has stopped her gaining. You're definitely doing all the right things with her. :cross: that your hard work pays off soon.

I've never used a treat ball for my cats - the labrador would be all over it and empty it in no time :lol3: I find a great start point is to go onto Amazon and look at reviews for the different treat balls, and pick one that sounds best suited for your cat. Sorry I haven't any specific suggestions for you. You could start a thread in The Cat Lounge asking for suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermama018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news now from about a month later...Ava is now weighing in at 10.8 pounds! She's lost 1 pound gradually over the month or so since I posted. She hasn't weighed less than 11 lbs in a long while, so I am very very happy! She's doing great and eating more wet than dry. We are going to continue slowly with this process.Thank you so much for the advice!

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tigger was on Hills Feline CD for crystals in his urine. went from 23.00 a bag to $57.00 a bag, plus Opie would eat it too. For years I bought only that and finally  went to Iams, or Purina One I think every few weeks between a bag of the expensive stuff, and he did fine. He weighed in at 15.5 pounds at the time later they said long as he  never got over 13.5 he would be better off, which he stayed at for years. Last 2 years he lost a lot then in 6 months went to about 6 -7 pounds before being put down. What a sweet old guy!!