Successful hibernation!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Usually a turtle should be fairly close to the same weight they went down at. But several breeders, even myself, have noticed juveniles coming up weighing a little more and having put on a slight bit of diameter. Since we're not in the ground with them we don't exactly know what's going on.
Whether they wake up occasionally and eat bugs that come by or not - though I somehow doubt this considering how mine act when they first come up. That and it happens even in those that get hibernated inside in insect free soil.
(if you've ever been pulled out of bed too early, have no idea what's going on and have trouble keeping your eyes open it's fairly close description to a just woken up boxie)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Strange wings. Neither Pepper or Pumpkin have ventured more than a foot from where they hibernated thus far. And of course tonight its going to frost. Poor things just want it to be warm.

I'm not sure how Pepper weighed more--I know I weighed her about 10 days before she stayed under for good and the first day she came up she weighed about 15 grams more than pre hibernation. I'll be very interested to see how much everyone else weighs post hibernation. I didn't get a chance to nab Pumpkin and weigh her last week.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody is doing well. The four females are now in a pen together and getting along well, enjoying very much the spring showers and all the bugs they bring out. The male is all by his lonesome but its for the best--he pesters those females constantly.

They all soak throughout the day but I'm still waiting for my girls who hibernated to warm back up to me. I look forward to the summer with them and the possibility of moving them to a new house before their next hibernation. (I forsee 2009 being a busy year for us)

Leslie

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats wonderful!!!!! My daughter is obsessed with turtles and she thought it was amazing they hibernated outside
I know she would really love to have one, but understands they are a lot of work and really need specialized care from educated owners. She has spent pretty much all of her life (she is 12) seeing the kind of care and commitment our rat colony takes. I tell her that maybe as she gets older, she can do research and if the time is ever right a turtle may come along that needs her love and care

Thank you for the update!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

She has spent pretty much all of her life (she is 12) seeing the kind of care and commitment our rat colony takes. I tell her that maybe as she gets older, she can do research and if the time is ever right a turtle may come along that needs her love and care
It sounds like she would be a great child to have a pet turtle, eventually.
There's a thread in this section that I started a year or so ago titled "Turtles", it's full of information and links to turtle forums.
If you eventually decide she (and you) are ready, there are often turtles that need to be adopted.

All of mine came up by May 6th (as they do every year). They're eating and some of the juvies grew a little. It's too bad the weather is oddly chilly for May here, that makes nights still a bit cold.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It sounds like she would be a great child to have a pet turtle, eventually.
There's a thread in this section that I started a year or so ago titled "Turtles", it's full of information and links to turtle forums.
If you eventually decide she (and you) are ready, there are often turtles that need to be adopted.

All of mine came up by May 6th (as they do every year). They're eating and some of the juvies grew a little. It's too bad the weather is oddly chilly for May here, that makes nights still a bit cold.
I will definately look that thread up, thank you. We had quite the lively discussion about turtles yesterday...she figures at some point her and dad can create the perfect turtle pen

There is a lot to learn and she has plenty of time to figure out if this is something she really wants to do at some point.