Success Stories Of Homing Feral Cat With Them Still Wanting To Go Out?

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My misty(age 5?) who was a semi feral barn cat i fed for 2 years at work, very sweet. took home after taking to vet for injury. Cant let outdoors due to busy street , the 1 main issue is hollering at door and window especially all night. Using Feliway but no success. Any success stories and solving their needing the outdoors and letting you sleep? thanks. .

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi 2 cat servant 2 cat servant :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

I'm so sorry you haven't had a reply sooner. This is a big site, and sometimes messages just slip through the net. How are things going with Misty now?

Many people here (including me) have very successfully brought semi ferals indoors. It takes time and patience, but they do settle eventually. Feliway is definitely worth a try, and plenty of interactive play helps direct excess energy in a positive way, as well as strengthening the bond between you.
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?

Is Misty spayed? If not, that could be a huge reason behind her stressing and shouting so much, especially at night.
Cats A Caterwauling
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My misty(age 5?) who was a semi feral barn cat i fed for 2 years at work, very sweet. took home after taking to vet for injury. Cant let outdoors due to busy street , the 1 main issue is hollering at door and window especially all night. Using Feliway but no success. Any success stories and solving their needing the outdoors and letting you sleep? thanks. .
I have a collection of cats and each one is different. Mine can go outside if they want to. I have one that doesn't want out at all. Another that will go out for a few hours, look all around and then be back at the door to come in. Another goes out in the morning and comes in when it gets hot. However she will not go out if its cold out. Goes out the door, sniffs and walks right back in. Another would stay outside all the time if not called in and finally one who doesn't like being inside and stays out for days as long as the food and water are there for her. She basically has decided to be mostly an outside cat. I live on 2 1/2 acres surrounded on 3 sides by open fields so the cats outside help a lot with keeping things like mice under control. I once found the feet and tail of a squirrel who apparently came to visit and stayed for dinner. Now I know why I don't have a squirrel problem. They taste good. So the outside cats have a lot of things to do. Its a hard call to resist.
You could build a "cat run" A fenced in area, including a wire cover on top that the cat could be safe in but could still see hear and smell all the fun things that are outside. I have seen plans for that kind of thing but am not allowed to post links to those sorts of things here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a collection of cats and each one is different. Mine can go outside if they want to. I have one that doesn't want out at all. Another that will go out for a few hours, look all around and then be back at the door to come in. Another goes out in the morning and comes in when it gets hot. However she will not go out if its cold out. Goes out the door, sniffs and walks right back in. Another would stay outside all the time if not called in and finally one who doesn't like being inside and stays out for days as long as the food and water are there for her. She basically has decided to be mostly an outside cat. I live on 2 1/2 acres surrounded on 3 sides by open fields so the cats outside help a lot with keeping things like mice under control. I once found the feet and tail of a squirrel who apparently came to visit and stayed for dinner. Now I know why I don't have a squirrel problem. They taste good. So the outside cats have a lot of things to do. Its a hard call to resist.
You could build a "cat run" A fenced in area, including a wire cover on top that the cat could be safe in but could still see hear and smell all the fun things that are outside. I have seen plans for that kind of thing but am not allowed to post links to those sorts of things here.
Thanks, would love to build her a catio or window box but landlord wont allow it, shes getting more used to being indoors now. Hopefully one day i can move to a bigger area.