Subway sandwiches

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped at Subway to get two lowfat subs for dinner today after work. Well, when I went in there, there were two workers behind the counter. One had plastic see-thru gloves on, and one didn't. Well, that kind of thing bothers me, but I didn't say anything at first. As I was watching this young lady making the subs, she got to mine and I just couldn't take it anymore because she had just scratched her head and then asked me what I would like on my sandwich. Ugh.
I told her first I would like her to wash her hands and then put some plastic gloves on like her male counterpart. The guy overheard this and glared at the girl, who sheepishly did just that. I am not outspoken by nature, but do you think it was ok for me to request that?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You were well within your right to ask her to follow procedure.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually just got myself a low fat sub from Subway as well! Maybe it's take out night on TCS... well, for me it's take out night most nights since I'm such a horrible cook!

I notice those things too, and will demand that they either wash their hands or put gloves on if they haven't already, but it's only happened a few times. One guy gave me such attitude for asking, but I didn't care. It's a hygiene issue... and whoever is serving you should know and respect that.

meiam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
of course, there are laws regarding exactly that...my husband is a chef, and he frequently does the same thing, there's no telling where her hands have been!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I am not outspoken by nature, but do you think it was ok for me to request that?
I think it was absosmurfly right to ask the person to put on the gloves. They are required to do that and should be fired otherwise.

...but what's this thing about you not being outspoken by nature?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I think it was absosmurfly right to ask the person to put on the gloves. They are required to do that and should be fired otherwise.

...but what's this thing about you not being outspoken by nature?
I very shy Wyan!

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief! You wouldn't have been able to stomach the sandwich had you not spoken up. . .would you? You're entitled to a healthy meal.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emma's Friend

Good grief! You wouldn't have been able to stomach the sandwich had you not spoken up. . .would you? You're entitled to a healthy meal.
No Amy, I had a hard time stomaching the two people before me while she had their subs...........

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were absolutely right to ask! My mother suffered from a 6-month long case of diarrhea last year. It was from an e.coli infection, and the doctor said it was most likely caused by a restaurant worker who had failed to wash his/her hands after using the restroom!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were well within your rights to ask for that! And good for you for doing it! So many people just let that sort of thing slide. I've worked in fast food and I ALWAYS washed my hands.
The one that bothers me is when they DO wear gloves, but then take your money without taking them off. GROSS.....that money has been....I don't even want to guess.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.......I'm glad I didn't let it slide either. I'm sure this girl wanted to strangle me, but oh well.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly think you were well within your rights. And infact if you go there again and you see workers not wearing gloves contact the manager because gloves must be inforced!!! So many gross things live under fingernails... I'm a stickler for people wearing gloves and I've actually asked a person to change their gloves before making my meal because they had touched their face and were slightly... um... unkept to say the least.

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh by all means you had every right to say that. I would have done the same thing and asked them to remake the sandwich if she had already touched it after touching her head. Not to imply that she has anything but she wouldn't want someone touching her food like that either probably.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely did the right thing. I would have done the same. Who knows where her hands have been?!?!?!?!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that you are paying for your food and that you have the right to want to stay healthy!!! You never know who has what disease in this day and age, so I think it was intelligent of you to do this!!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thanks everybody.............I'm glad of my decision too.