Submissive peeing when leashed

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So I'm dog sitting and walking a little terrier mix. From my understanding is the first owner used a shock collar, which I believe is the reason for peeing when leashed.

How can I stop this? I tried sitting and leashing, letting him come to me, treating him, sneaking it on while he's eating.. Seems like whatever I try, he pees.

I'm getting tired of cleaning his urine and wasting the owners paper towels!

Any suggestions? Petey is a really good dog and well trained.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh the poor baby... how people can do this stuff is beyond me.

You're saying he pees whenever you put his lead on?  For a start I'd be putting it on where it doesn't matter if he pees

If any of this is obvious, sorry.. it's just what I was told to do when I was looking after rescues:

Keep down on his level.. let him sniff the lead.  If possible leave it around where he can see it. 

One of the most important things I learnt is to jolly a dog along and never sound like you're sorry for him.. " all is well with the world, and you're a big brave dog!" If you make him think that the most exciting thing is about to happen (walkies) he may just forget his fear.

This may not be wildly useful, but it's the best I can come up with.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is he peeing when you attach the leash to the collar he already has on, or when you put the collar itself on him? If the former, can you carry him outside and quickly attach the leash and put him down? If the latter, a harness might work better than a collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Im usually cheerful when putting the leash on the (existing) collar. When he rolls over I give him a good belly rub. I'm starting to wonder if I'm encouraging this behavior?

He doesn't like to be picked up. He hates his sides touched, even when playing. I'm thinking he was hit by his reaction when I try to touch his sides.

He's only 3 years old and is on owner #3. Poor puppy.
The owner will be coming home today. I'm going to ask him about this and suggest trying a harness. That's a good idea