Subcutaneous Fluids

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I've been giving my cat fluid under the skin with a needle for a few days. She tolerates it well, but she seems to shake while the water is being inserted. We use room temperature water, directly from the bag given to us by our vet. I won't be able to speak to him until Monday, but I just wondered if anyone else had this happen? The fluid has been wonderful for her, just two days ago she wouldn't eat at all, and now she's just about back to normal.
Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!!!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to provide sub-q fluids for one cat who had overactive thyroid. But I was not using water! I was using a saline solution I purchased from the vet. I really would worry about tap water, as it has all sorts of things added: chlorine, flouride, plus it has minerals etc. I would not want to introduce that in to a living being's system.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason your cat "shakes" is because (to her) the room temperature water is too cold.

A cat's normal body temperature is around 100-102 F. What is room temperature? somewhere in the 70-72 F range? Then the water in the bag will feel cold to the cat.

What you might try is putting the bag of fluid and giving set (keep the port opening out) in a bowl full of hot water, ensuring that the entrance to the bag (where the marker is) is not immersed and leave it to warm about 10 minutes.

Run a little of the fluid through the line before you give it to ensure your cat does not receive cold fluid remaining in the administration set.

Try the warm water trick and see if it helps quell the shakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to provide sub-q fluids for one cat who had overactive thyroid. But I was not using water! I was using a saline solution I purchased from the vet. I really would worry about tap water, as it has all sorts of things added: chlorine, flouride, plus it has minerals etc. I would not want to introduce that in to a living being's system.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm giving her whatever it is straight from the vet's IV drip. I'm assuming it's water mixed with other things, but you're right, maybe it's saline solution. Whatever it is, it's working beautifully. I'd never give my girl anything that the vet didn't approve of.

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason your cat "shakes" is because (to her) the room temperature water is too cold.

A cat's normal body temperature is around 100-102 F. What is room temperature? somewhere in the 70-72 F range? Then the water in the bag will feel cold to the cat.

What you might try is putting the bag of fluid and giving set (keep the port opening out) in a bowl full of hot water, ensuring that the entrance to the bag (where the marker is) is not immersed and leave it to warm about 10 minutes.

Run a little of the fluid through the line before you give it to ensure your cat does not receive cold fluid remaining in the administration set.

Try the warm water trick and see if it helps quell the shakes.
Thank you, I'll try that!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, you need to heat the bag. Microwave isn't recommended because of uneven heating. I first used hot water, but it was so messy that I began using my heating pad, and that worked great.

Unfortunately, my guy was on the decline and even with daily SubQ, he continued to fail. As you've noticed, the cat is usually quite compliant because I think they realize how much better they feel afterwards.

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you need to heat the bag. Microwave isn't recommended because of uneven heating. I first used hot water, but it was so messy that I began using my heating pad, and that worked great.

Unfortunately, my guy was on the decline and even with daily SubQ, he continued to fail. As you've noticed, the cat is usually quite compliant because I think they realize how much better they feel afterwards.
I'm sorry your cat was on the decline. It's so hard, we love them so much!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I lost him only 19 months after diagnosis, but my previous CRF cat lived for 8 years after diagnosis. Vets tell me that it's impossible to know how any individual cat will progress.

Just keep loving them to the end is the best we can do.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my guy sub-q fluids, (Lactated Ringers solution), daily for almost a year.

I was so afraid to begin, yet the people here talked me through it.
Here goes, I will share the information and what I have found to be helpful

Yes, The fluids are too cold for you cat; even at room temp. Cats normal body temperature is about 101 F... so room temp would make them shiver.

I take a 4 quart stockpot, put the bag in the bottom of the pan, with the IV line sticking up and out of the pot, onto a clean towel.

I put the pot in the sink, covering the bag with hot water. I do not completely submerge the site where the tubing is inserted.

After about 5-10 minutes it is at the right temp for my guy.

I take a wire coat hanger, put the bag on the wire, hanging it on a cabinet door. I run a bit of fluid out into the sink, keeping the needle tip from touching anything (keeping it sterile). This is to make sure the fluid in the IV line is warm.

I usually do all of this when my cat is nice, calm, and just relaxing.

I have put up some of those 'Command" hooks on walls of his favorite spots; the higher , the faster the flow ~~ gravity.

I wait until Artie is settled, and Voila! I can stick him without any issue.

I also slowly open the valve. I have found that he kind of flinches when it initially goes in fast.. then I can open the valve all the way....

These are things that I found helpful. I hope they can help you..

Good Luck!