Stupid, stupid, stupid oven!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I hate that thing! Hate it, I tell you! Remember back around the holidays when I did the Cleaning cycle on our oven and it got stuck in Lock/Unlock mode? And I ended up cursing a blue streak at the thing and slamming the door shut until the oven said, "OK! OK! I give up!" and gave in and killed its cycle? 

Well, I had to clean the oven as something bubbled out over and made a mess. I tried to just clean it myself, but it was too dirty. So, knowing exactly what would happen, I hit the Clean button for 3 hours. Went through the cycle, cooled back down, and......it's caught on the Lock/Unlock cycle. We've tried everything and nothing is working. Even my cussing a blue streak didn't work this time. It laughed in my face and went back into the Lock cycle. "Take that, woman!"

Can't use the oven. can't use the stove. The only way to shut the cycle down is to kill the circuit. As soon as we turn the circuit back on, it goes right back into Lock mode. Then I can use the stove and I can use the lower oven. But the whole time, the top oven is cycling Lock/Unlock. Door opens, door locks. Door opens, door locks. And I can't use the top oven at all. 

I've googled til I'm blue in the face and have tried everything. Everything, I tell you. It's a pretty common thing evidently, as there's a ton of information on the internet about it. Not just with GE Profiles, but also other brands as well.

Going to have to call a repair person to come in a put a new Lock switch in the thing. 

I hate that oven. Thank goodness for the grill.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sucks! What brand is it?

Could you try unplugging/plugging back in to see if it unlocks?  Works with my printer LOL.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Again????? Oh that's just frustrating! I hope you can get it fixed fast. :hugs: :cross:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

i wonder if the circuit board that controls this stuff went wonky, totally understand how frustrating!! I would kick it!
I don't think so. When the circuit comes back on, it's just the Lock/Unlock cycle that's screwed-up. The top oven doesn't work because it thinks the door is still locked, even when it is unlocked.

The stove itself works. The bottom oven works. I can use the stove and the bottom oven, if I absolutely have to. But the entire time I use the stove/bottom oven, the top oven is cycling Lock/Unlock. The door unlocks and I can open it. Then it will lock and I can't open it. 

I think it's the Locking mechanism itself that's funky, but not sure. Probably needs a new lever. It will cost me $100, just for the appliance guy to come through the front door. 
 Then whatever the parts will cost me.

I tried pressing "90" to force the cycle to stop.

I tried turning off the circuit to the stove (as soon as I reset the circuit, the Lock/Unlock cycle starts right in again).

I tried pressing "Cancel".

I tried pressing "Clock" and "Cancel".

I tried setting a new Cleaning cycle and then canceling that about 15 minutes later.

I tried setting a new Cleaning cycle and letting it go for an hour or so, cancelling that and letting the oven cool down.

I tried calling it every name in the book and cussing a blue streak at it.

I tried repeatedly slamming the oven door shut until Rick said I might break the glass in the door (although, to be honest, that might not be a bad idea; however Dear Richard begs to differ).

I tried begging nicely.

Clearly I have done everything I can do to this thing. Rick said I did it on purpose, so I won't have to bake him any cookies. I told him to shut up.

I can't kick it; I'd probably break my foot with my luck. 

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

i wonder if the circuit board that controls this stuff went wonky, totally understand how frustrating!! I would kick it!
I don't think so. When the circuit comes back on, it's just the Lock/Unlock cycle that's screwed-up. The top oven doesn't work because it thinks the door is still locked, even when it is unlocked.

The stove itself works. The bottom oven works. I can use the stove and the bottom oven, if I absolutely have to. But the entire time I use the stove/bottom oven, the top oven is cycling Lock/Unlock. The door unlocks and I can open it. Then it will lock and I can't open it. 

I think it's the Locking mechanism itself that's funky, but not sure. Probably needs a new lever. It will cost me $100, just for the appliance guy to come through the front door. 
 Then whatever the parts will cost me.

I tried pressing "90" to force the cycle to stop.

I tried turning off the circuit to the stove (as soon as I reset the circuit, the Lock/Unlock cycle starts right in again).

I tried pressing "Cancel".

I tried pressing "Clock" and "Cancel".

I tried setting a new Cleaning cycle and then canceling that about 15 minutes later.

I tried setting a new Cleaning cycle and letting it go for an hour or so, cancelling that and letting the oven cool down.

I tried calling it every name in the book and cussing a blue streak at it.

I tried repeatedly slamming the oven door shut until Rick said I might break the glass in the door (although, to be honest, that might not be a bad idea; however Dear Richard begs to differ).

I tried begging nicely.

Clearly I have done everything I can do to this thing. Rick said I did it on purpose, so I won't have to bake him any cookies. I told him to shut up.

I can't kick it; I'd probably break my foot with my luck. 
HAHAHA Well kick him then.

Tell him to fix that darn thing already!!

And cookies are bad for you-make him a salad that looks like a cookie-maybe he won' t notice :p

Have you google searched this problem to see if someone else has a similar experience? Which you probably did already-

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should just go back to Easy-Off. They make one now for self-cleaning ovens. You can also clean it like a microwave with a bowl of water and a cup of ammonia. Heat the oven to 150 degrees, then turn it off, insert the bowls, and let it sit overnight.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father used to say, "The more you have, the more you have to take care of." I now think the more convenient something is, the more difficult it is to take care of. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf Jon hates anything with extra bells and whistles-he always says- It's just one more thing to pay for when it breaks" but he doesn't understand that more appliances are going with a digital display and no buttons-the new A/C only come with a remote-no BUTTONS! I still think stuff 20 years ago was much easier to fix and care for. Sorry!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

My bf Jon hates anything with extra bells and whistles-he always says- It's just one more thing to pay for when it breaks" but he doesn't understand that more appliances are going with a digital display and no buttons-the new A/C only come with a remote-no BUTTONS! I still think stuff 20 years ago was much easier to fix and care for. Sorry!
And this oven has pretty much everything on it.....just more stuff to go wrong, IMO. And you're right, most stuff is digital and you can't buy it any other way. It's frustrating. Our last air conditioner is pretty much run with a remote, too. (And I don't even want to think about having to buy a new washer and dryer when the ones we have now bite the dust!)

The appliance guru will come tomorrow to look at the oven and, hopefully, be able to fix the thing without me paying an arm and a leg. I'm taking a vacation day to be at the house; Rick is off work during the afternoon because he has to take The Beast to the vet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was very frustrated with finding a simple washer that would do what I wanted without all those bells and whistles.  Our old washer was about 7 years old when it broke last winter and the parts to fix it would have been several hundred.  When DH and I were first married we had a stove and dryer that were probably 15-20 years old each.  
  The Speed Queen was out of my price range but I eventually found one thats been pretty good.  It doesn't have a digital display; but its still digital controlled.  I'm starting to think you need to figure crazy repair costs into the purchase of these things.  Plan for them!  

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We had our first fridge (it was an old GE) for 28 years. 28 years! We bought it when we bought our first house and it moved four times with us before coming with us to the house we have now. Remember the old Harvest Gold color from back in the 70s? Yep, that was our fridge. The fridge worked beautifully, but I'm sure it wasn't even close to being energy-efficient when it finally died. We bought a new Kitchen Aid side-by-side and put the old fridge in the basement where it finally died. We just got rid of the KA fridge 3 or 4 years ago when we bought the Samsung French door fridge.

I love the Samsung fridge, but really dread anything going wrong with it.

Our old Maytag washer is on its last legs and we keep babying it along. Same with the dryer.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
$500 for a new circuit board. He has to order it and come back to the house when the circuit board comes in. I'm sick about it. But it's cheaper than a new stove. He's not sure how much the locking lever is going to cost. 

Meanwhile, I still can't use the top oven. But I can use the stove and the lower oven.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is not happy. He told me he thinks we'd had been better off to buy a new range in the long run. And yes, he might be right. But when I asked him where the money for a new range was going to come from, he agreed that we don't have it right now. I refuse to put it on a credit card. And ranges are expensive. 

I told the repairman that I liked my old stove better because it had a manual lock. All I had to do when I wanted to clean the oven was flip the oven lock and start the cleaning cycle. When it was done cleaning, I could flip the lever back manually. He said they don't make them like that anymore; pretty much everything is going digital with the circuit boards. So even getting a new oven, chances are eventually we'd have the same problem. And I refuse to have an oven in the house that is not self-cleaning; I am simply not going there. It's bad enough that the second oven on this range is not self-cleaning; I hate cleaning ovens and life is too short to have to deal with it.

So we are using the stove and the grill with the microwave thrown into the mix from time to time. Dear Richard will not get cookies until the oven is repaired...the second oven is too small to do more than one pan of cookies at a time. The large oven is also convection, so I'm used to baking 3-4 sheets of cookies at once. No way am I baking one sheet of cookies at a time. I'd be baking forever!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one way to stick with the diet-the stove died so you won't have to worry about temptation!

I dread when my **** dies. Its a 1996 model. frigare or something like that. it came with the house when they installed this place. Still have all original kitchen appliances. The oven drives me crazy as it takes forever for the pilot to light the gas. I know I need to get it looked at. I don't like the new gas ranges. I like the counter that's inbetween the 4 burners. the new stoves have NO counter to lay your spoon/dish etc. and more crevices that need to be cleaned. I never used to care about that until Jon pointed out that I need to not buy anything with extra parts and things to clean. So that's why I got rid of my food processor. I always just washed the bowl out and blades. He goes overboard so I just got rid of it. He spent tons of money on a juicer and it stays packed away in the storage he has rather than use it.

Some days I think he is nuts. Other days I want to not have anything to clean. or fix. Or mickey mouse. We used the grill last night and this summer will be the last summer for it. I need to get a new burner for it and its probably way too much and too much agrivation changing it out. So we will take it to the dump in October and March/April buy a new one. This one was only $125. So it lasted 3 summers. I swear the metal they use to fabricate the insides has gotten thinner and more chinsy. We cover it in the winter but doesn't matter. I have to be more diligent about cleaning out the crud that falls onto the burners next time around. Maybe someone will invent a grill that has a rack holder so you can lift the rack and do a quick cleaning. and maybe I am just dreaming.

I prefer the older stuff from the 1980s.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My ideal range would be dual-fuel. A gas stove with an electric oven. I really like a gas stove because I think it heats more evenly than electric. But I'd rather have an electric oven. I know you can get them, but not sure of the cost. And then we'd have to have a propane tank out in back of the house and then I'd have to wonder how far down the tank was and all that.  I'd love to do it that way, but doubt I could afford it.

And I need two ovens. I use both ovens. The bottom oven in our range is like the old broiler drawers at the very bottom of the range. You simply pull the drawer out to put the food in to bake. Maximum heat is 450 degrees, which works for pretty much everything but pizza.and such. The large oven also has a Proof cycle for when I proof yeast doughs; we keep our house cool in the winter, so the Proof cycle really helps me out. The stove has five burners, including a bridge burner, which is great for using long pans on top of the stove. 

I don't know what it would cost to replace this range, but I figured it was best to just replace the board. According to Rick, I was wrong. Dead wrong. It is what it is at this point.

The "guts" in our gas grill are starting to go and Rick has been looking at what it would cost to replace the guts or simply replace the grill. We've had that grill for well over 15 years, and we've used it hard, so we can't complain. I don't know what he's going to do. We can still use the grill for things like burgers, dogs, and the like, but I don't think we can use it for something large like a pork shoulder or a butterflied turkey anymore. We were looking at new grills, but geez, they're expensive.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the propane for my stove is really cheap for me. I use 4 to 5 gallons of propane a year but have to rent the tank. I thought about buying my own tank but I don't want the hassle. I like ease of things. The gas tank I think holds 30? gallons? The cost per gallon is very expensive but it comes out to about $30 a year for the gas. but I don't cook daily. In the winter we use the oven every other day and the top burners the same. I cook a big meal so I don't have to cook every night. We like left overs so I try to cook enough for 5 to 6 meals at least so Jon has something to eat during the day. I don't eat much regular food during the day. lately just eggs and oatmeal and my protein bars. I do miss homemade foods. The other night I wanted to cook potatoes in the oven but the house was already 75 degrees and I just didn't want to turn on the oven.

Yep I think you can get a reasonably priced grill at home depot type stores but they are not top quality. I never thought about buying a top quality grill. I only cook burgers. steaks and tinfoil potatoes so I don't need anything fancy. Never thought about cooking exotic things. Jon likes his burgers. Maybe some day when I don't have to be away from home so much I would take up cooking again. For now it works. If I didn't have such a picky eater at home I would cook more stuff. But I don't want to cook 2 separate meals every night. I wouldn't know what to do with a double oven. You must enjoy cooking? I would do it more but no one to eat it.