Stupid Ideas That Actually Work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie horse is a ridiculous name, and I don't know the origin!
However, what I call a charlie horse is a cramping of the calf muscle which seems to start in the foot. It is extremely painful. Just put the soap under your bottom sheet, so that it doesn't fall off the bed. I always put mine a bit higher than my foot. It doesn't matter if you can feel it at all times, but as I said, if I feel a cramp starting, I find it with my foot and make sure my leg touches it. Some people who have cramps in the daytime put a sliver of soap in their shoe.

I sometimes have restless legs. It helps them too, but not "magically," the way it stops leg cramps. (Restless legs just ache, and you can't resist moving them, so you can't fall asleep. It comes and goes.)

I think I'll check the origin of the term charlie horse. I'll let you know if I find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found it!

Charley Horse
This term for a pulled muscle is originally a baseball term, dating to at least 1888. Most sources list the origin as obscure. No one knows who Charley was or why he may have had a lame horse.
Mencken, however, gives two possible explanations. Mencken does not plump for them and to my ear they sound horribly strained. The first is that is named after Charlie "Duke" Esper, a southpaw pitcher who "walked like a lame horse." Esper, however, did not make his major league debut until 1890, so while it is possible that the term derives from him, the dates make it seem unlikely.

The second is that it comes from a lame horse owned by Charley, the groundskeeper in a Sioux City ballpark. Mencken gives no dates for this one.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are so cool!

My 2 cents worth

To stop a bloody nose, take a piece of tissue or paper towel and put it under your top lip, against your gums. Seems to work

Vinegar and baking soda make a great cleanser. Use it on sinks or whatever you want to clean. It also works as a whitener, I've used it to clean white sneakers, and it really works.

Baking powder will stop bleeding. It will burn, but it does stop it.

If someone grabs you, take their thumb and pull away from their hand. They will have to let go. This is good for wrestling matches with the S/O.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peppermint is also good for nerves and nausea... get some essential oil and sniff it when you feel sick!! Works a treat!!

Heidi - Mmmmm Hot Toddy..... its sooo good and it really works.... - especially the more you drink!! :laughing: You can also add lemon juice too...

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love peppermint tea! I haven't tried 'snorting' the peppermint oil, though.
I put it in an oil burner with a few drops of water and it smells wonderful.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:LOL: :LOL:... yeah I don't recommend actually "snorting" it up!!! :LOL: :LOL: .... just sniff it!!! :LOL:

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OW! I bet snorting peppermint oil would clear the sinuses, though. Permanently! OW!

Bod, that's the trick for adults when they have the sore throat. Make a few Hot Toddy's and you won't even feel your throat, or care if it hurts! :laughing:

deborah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a sore that gets infected, use a warm tea bag to draw out the infection. Keep soaking tea bag in (boiled) warm water and repeat. Garanteed to form scab in a few hours. I find it works faster and better than any topical antibiotic.

For let cramps, take about a quarter cup of tonic water before retiring. The tonic water has quinine in it which apparently stops the cramping. This advice was given to a friend by a doctor.