Stupid eyeliner..

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I used to be pretty good at it, but now that I need reading glasses...
Thank God I only wear make-up 2-3 times a year. Uh Oh, NYE is coming up.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely wear make up anymore but eye liner has rules of it's own doesn't it. I normally use a pencil because it's so much easier to control but I'm trying to get the hang of liquid right now. Some of the tips above are really good for the eye liner pencil, having it warmed up a little helps a great deal.

All I can say is practice, practice, practice and when you think you'd got it practice some more. It takes a lot of time to develop your own style with applying make up. And I like the idea of going on-line and getting some tips. I don't know too many people that just naturally were able to apply make up well the first few times. And those I do know were artistically talented so I think it was just a spill over.

With you being into the rock look, you probably want something really dramatic. When I was younger and into that look, I'd find pictures out of magazines that I liked the look in and try to reproduce the look. I found it was easier if I could see exactly what I was going from.

Also I keep eye make-up remover on hand now, back then I used baby oil or vasaline. Otherwise, it takes forever for the liner to come off. But like other said, you need to becareful with that stuff and wash it off after you're done.

The other tip I'll give you is once you get the eye-liner the way you want it, dust over it with little powder, I find that keeps it from running or smudging as much.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
Originally Posted by fwan

you know what i do?? i actually apply it on the top of the bottom of the eyelashes... it automatically blends down to the eyelashes and there you go!
if you are using a pencil this is the best way but if your using liquid you have to be careful not to get it in our eye it burns like heck, I NEVER go anywhere without my eyeliner lol

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis

if you are using a pencil this is the best way but if your using liquid you have to be careful not to get it in our eye it burns like heck, I NEVER go anywhere without my eyeliner lol
Yes i stopped using liquid eyeliner a long time ago!

I really want to wear eyeliner on the top of my eyelashes but... i havent mastered that yet!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's a lot easier to use a liquid liner on your top lid along the eyelashes. It is easier to hide mistakes, comes off more easily and doesn't look like you've just been punched in the eyes. I hated using a pencil liner - I always kept putting the tip of the pencil in my eye!!

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
I use liquid on top too. i use black or brown (depending on time of day and activity) on top and on bottom i use white pencil on the inside of my lower lid it opens up your eyes and makes them look bright. when you add mascara on the bottom you dont notice the white really.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heheh you and I use the same type of make-up rules there then eh? I love strawberry and chocolate and vanilla colours (being dark haired I take those colourd the best) subtle is ALWAYS the way to go for me
I've got relatively nice shaped eyes for it anyway, so who wants to overdo what you've already got eh?

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good attempt. It took me several months to get the hang of eyeliner.

From the photo, it looks to me like you made a line that was too thick (to start). You will be able to do that better after you have more practice.

You also drew the line too far below your bottom lashes. Try blending the eyeline right into the lash line.

I know that the experts advise to put the liner on the bottom just 1/3 of the way in, but if you are going for the hot rocker chick look, you're going to want to draw it all the way. Just be very very light with your hand, put a tiny bit, then add more.

I have good luck with using dark eyeshadow. Get a good eyeliner brush, wet it, and pick up shadow with the wet brush. Then, you can blend it into the lash line, and it doesn't look harsh.

It's tough being a girl!

The other thing that I just did for the first time was have my brows waxed. (Ouch!!!). It seems like a girly girl thing to do, but it's amazing the result. I need much much less eye makeup for a much more dramatic look.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

The other thing that I just did for the first time was have my brows waxed. (Ouch!!!). It seems like a girly girl thing to do, but it's amazing the result. I need much much less eye makeup for a much more dramatic look.
Isn't that the truth? Just don't over wax/tweeze...that is one of my pet peeves. That, and lip liner darker than the lipstick and not blended in.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

Isn't that the truth? Just don't over wax/tweeze...that is one of my pet peeves. That, and lip liner darker than the lipstick and not blended in.
i agree about the lipliner thing.

i much prefer just a pinky or clear lip gloss anyway. its far sexier and a can be an eye catching party trick when you need to reapply it!