Stupid drain! (rant)

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a window in your bathroom? If so, prop up a fan blowing out the window and pour the largest bottle of drano you can find down the drain.
This is just what I would do, but to be safe as far as the chemicals mixing maybe you could call the number on the drano bottle and ask them if it would be safe.
Otherwise, if it had taken this long for my apartments to get someone out to fix it I wouldn't care at this point if the drano might cause damage to the pipes. It's not your problem to worry about, it's theirs. Sorry... I know that sounds terrible but how long do they expect you to wait until they send someone out?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the apart below you has any problems?? I can't believe no one has come to fix this yet!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh theres a maint. guy in the building! He is such a f*** up I'd rather tackle it myself. He came to LOOK at it mon. he said he would have to find? a snake and try to get some drano or lye to pour down it. I did'nt call him yesterday because I was going to see if the o-cover and plunging thing would work-it did'nt--- so I have'nt decided if I want to be bothered with him tonight or let my bf deal with him on thurs on his day off. Yes there is a window in the bathroom so the chemical mixture should'nt be so caustic. The owner knows about the problem as well, he seemed to care less though. The first of the month is coming up, and I can just as soon find a new place than pay the rent there as they could care less about my personal needs. I think I'll start looking matter of fact. This building is soo bogus!!!!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I was just about to post a rant about my own problems and be warned- this could happen to you.
To start with- hubby and I are new home owners.

I was in the middle of cleaning the cat boxes and had a small cup of cat litter to take upstairs for refillings purposes. Hubby is in the shower and starts a conversation with me in the bathroom- he is almost out of shampoo and where is it? I set the litter on the counter and as I am looking in the cabinet, dump it into the bathroom sink- about 1/4 cup goes down the drain! Well of course this plugs up the drain and I try the drano I have on hand- doesn't work.

Hubby gets out of the shower and decides he is going to take apart the drain! He clears some stuff out of the cabinet, but not all, although I told him to, and grabs a trash can. Water goes pouring everywhere, not just in the can! Meanwhile kitties are exploring and I'm freaking that they are going to get into the nasty chemicals! Anyway, we managed to clear out the pipe- thankfully, and then clean up the whole fricking bathroom!!

I would def call your landlord up and keep kitties away from this mess!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

Oh my! I was just about to post a rant about my own problems and be warned- this could happen to you.
To start with- hubby and I are new home owners.

I was in the middle of cleaning the cat boxes and had a small cup of cat litter to take upstairs for refillings purposes. Hubby is in the shower and starts a conversation with me in the bathroom- he is almost out of shampoo and where is it? I set the litter on the counter and as I am looking in the cabinet, dump it into the bathroom sink- about 1/4 cup goes down the drain! Well of course this plugs up the drain and I try the drano I have on hand- doesn't work.

Hubby gets out of the shower and decides he is going to take apart the drain! He clears some stuff out of the cabinet, but not all, although I told him to, and grabs a trash can. Water goes pouring everywhere, not just in the can! Meanwhile kitties are exploring and I'm freaking that they are going to get into the nasty chemicals! Anyway, we managed to clear out the pipe- thankfully, and then clean up the whole fricking bathroom!!

I would def call your landlord up and keep kitties away from this mess!
WOW! I've come to the conclusion that I hate plumbing! Its such a pain! Why is it so hard to fix
AT least you were successful (sp) in keeping your kitties out of the water, I was'nt soo lucky
now I know why I don't bathe my cats
The maint. man is coming friday, joy, joy

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

How will you bath and shower in the mean time?

Thank the Lord I live 2 blocks from Mom

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if you still have a problem let me know-my nephew is a plumber (very handy!!) I can try to explain the situation to him and see what he says!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well if you still have a problem let me know-my nephew is a plumber (very handy!!) I can try to explain the situation to him and see what he says!!
Thanks!!! I hope the guy can straighten it out tommorow, but if not I might need you
I want a house!!!!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of using bleach to unclog a drain. If it does, it will take you a very long time, but I doubt that it will ever work. The best thing to get is some good drain cleaner, the kind you can find at a harware store. Most of the pipes from your tub should be ok. I use one called "the works". it is very stong and will clear that drain in less than 15 minutes. It will smell a lot, you can put something over the drain to cover it while the stuff is working. After 15 minutes, be sure to flush the drain with cold water for a few minutes. Do NOT use HOT water!! Hot water can react violently with the acid and splash up at you. I only had one pipe ever get eaten away by this stuff. It was a cheap pipe under the bathroom sink. No other pipes were ever harmed. Just be sure to flush the pipes good and make sure you don't leave it in the drain longer than recommended.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah the bleach is better for just making sure the drain is clear like a preventative thing. Its worked on hair clogs for me before but whatever this is bleach is'nt touching it. If they can't figure it out by the 1st I'm moving!!!!!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Renny: tell Rambo

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much! Unfortunately for his b-day Rambo decided he wanted to take an emergency visit to the vet...but he's fine now that the yarn he ate has passed!!!

How's the drain doing?

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Thanks so much! Unfortunately for his b-day Rambo decided he wanted to take an emergency visit to the vet...but he's fine now that the yarn he ate has passed!!!

How's the drain doing?
what is it about the boys that makes them think they are vacuum cleaners!?! I'm glad he passed it!

The drain is worse now, it's not moving at all
when I removed the plate thingy there was no plunger on the end, so it most likely fell in the pipes causing the blockage
it's just a mess
then I had to give Murph a bath because he decided he wanted to know what the murky water was in the bathroom
this is my week from h-e-double hockeysticks!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

what is it about the boys that makes them think they are vacuum cleaners!?! I'm glad he passed it!

The drain is worse now, it's not moving at all
when I removed the plate thingy there was no plunger on the end, so it most likely fell in the pipes causing the blockage
it's just a mess
then I had to give Murph a bath because he decided he wanted to know what the murky water was in the bathroom
this is my week from h-e-double hockeysticks!
Oh good...it's not just my boy who will eat anything and everything! Sorry to hear about your week from hell....hugs from Rambo and Lucky. It would seem like you've tried all you can...i think you need reinforcements of either a "drano" type product from the hardware store (lock cats out of bathroom for that!) or a plumber!!
GOOD LUCK!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The part that upset me about Murf fallin in the tub, was that I had the door locked all night! I was in there getting ready to go to my moms house, and I hear all this comotion behind the curtain-- I had the curtain closed so he would'nt even be tempted to look in the tub---- I look and theres the retard boy splashing in the nasty water
I'll be so glad when this is over!

And yes, Murphy thinks he's a vacuum too! I make sure everything tempting is picked up, but he still seems to locate small pieces of paper, strands of my hair, I mean anything! He does'nt even smell it or anything just gulps whatever it is down
BOYS!!!!