Stumped on introduction process

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, before i begin i want to say ive watched videos and read articles in the introduction process and have followed the steps as closely as possible. Karma Ozai can now eat in the same room and be in the same room together under supervision but theres one problem i’m worried about. Karma has never been around other cats and seems to not understand social cues. He runs up to Ozai and chirps and meows at him, so i don't think he’s trying to be aggressive. Him and Ozai both meow at each other and touch noses, but they seem to not know how to act around each other. Ozai still hisses at Karma and runs away from him, and Karma follows him, seemingly not getting that Ozai doesnt want him in his face so then i have to separate them because i’m scared theyre gonna fight. When i crack the door open they meow at each other and stick their paws through the door so it just confuses me. Does anybody know why they behave this way? Advice on what i should do next is very welcome. I try distracting them with food and toys but Karma seems overly interested in Ozai and i think Ozai is just a loner by nature and doesnt want to be his friend. Whenever they eat together i add more food to their bowls every time they look at each other to hopefully build a positive association if eating and treats by itself isnt enough.
View attachment IMG_7495.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another thing i want to add, whenever i let them out together into the living room Ozai starts doing typical cat stuff like scratching on scratching posts and rolling on the carpet and Karma just looks at me like he’s unsure. I dont think Karma knows other cats do the same cat stuff he does

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal. Young cats pretty commonly don't understand and respect social cues.

Hissing and running away is evidence of some level of stress, that is true, but it isn't actually evidence that Ozai wants to fight. I think you need to let this play out more. Yes, its true that a fight would set back your progress. But I don't actually think your making progress right now, as your not giving them time to work through this.

An introduction process is good for reducing stranger danger. But this really isn't stranger danger anymore. Its more like Ozai has accepted that Karma exists, but is nervous about having his personal space invaded and maybe, in his mind, being jumped on. No amount of closed door stuff and scent stuff will remove that fear. Only in person time can reduce that.

Its like if your nervous about flying. No matter what type of visualization exercises the therapist does with you, at some point, you have to get on the airplane. Its going to be stressful. No process can change that. The process is so you can force yourself to get on the plane and not throw up; the rest of your gains are from getting through the flight.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree - this sounds like it's going pretty good overall. Some "gentle" hissing is to be expected. It's a "don't come so close, I'm not sure of you yet". Let's be honest, some cats do have a lack of boundaries/personal space. They're just feeling each other out. But both seem to be showing some comfortable behavior. They're just going to have to work out how they'll interact and what their boundaries will be. You can still keep interactions short for now. And make sure both cats can leave and go to a private space.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't add much to this advice other than to agree. Hissing is not always an indication of an incipient fight. It is frequently simply a communication, and sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say. Let this play out a bit. Take some deep breaths and try to relax a bit. BOTH cats can sense your anxiety, and will react to that. Keep a big pillow or piece of cardboard handy, and if it SHOULD come down to an actual fight, slip it between them and herd one away. BTW, a simple swat, without claws, is not a "fight," and does not necessarily become one, unless the other cat refuses to back down. It's more of a "heated discussion."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is normal. Young cats pretty commonly don't understand and respect social cues.

Hissing and running away is evidence of some level of stress, that is true, but it isn't actually evidence that Ozai wants to fight. I think you need to let this play out more. Yes, its true that a fight would set back your progress. But I don't actually think your making progress right now, as your not giving them time to work through this.

An introduction process is good for reducing stranger danger. But this really isn't stranger danger anymore. Its more like Ozai has accepted that Karma exists, but is nervous about having his personal space invaded and maybe, in his mind, being jumped on. No amount of closed door stuff and scent stuff will remove that fear. Only in person time can reduce that.

Its like if your nervous about flying. No matter what type of visualization exercises the therapist does with you, at some point, you have to get on the airplane. Its going to be stressful. No process can change that. The process is so you can force yourself to get on the plane and not throw up; the rest of your gains are from getting through the flight.
Okay, thank you. I will let them be around each other for a bit more time than usual. I just get super nervous when i hear growling and hissing since they got off on the wrong foot before. I js need to trust Karma a little more, since he’s only 1 yrs old he’s still a little wild, which makes me the most anxious.