Stuffy snotty nose

S Babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old Shameena was found as a kitten at 2 weeks old and I bottle raised her. She was diagnosed with ECG when she was about 2 and has been on Atopica intermittently for flares of lesions. She also is on Buspar for problems with spraying urine. Well, I took her to the vet SIX months ago to get her urine checked. They couldn't get a sample so asked that I leave her for the day. They could not get a urine so I just took her home. Two days later she started sneezing...A LOT. Vet gave her antiviral that did not work. Then antibiotics. She then developed a really stuffy nose, blowing snot rockets everywhere. She was then given augmentin, then more augmentin. Then the vet told me my cat is just a "chronic snuffler" and will likely never get better. Well, she NEVER had this before in the six years i have had her before I left her there for the day. She is eating fine, great energy, but eyes sometimes have some watery drainage and STILL blowing snot rockets. Vet said she doesn't think l-lysine would be helpful and brushed off my thought of antihistamines. I'm at my wits end. My other two cats have not gotten sick at all during this six months. Any helpful ideas? I just want my baby to breathe easier and not blow snot everywhere!!

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have lysine? I would suggest just trying that at the very least as it wouldn’t hurt. If she’ll eat the treats those are easy to give, if not there is powder you can mix in wet food. One of my cats was bottle raised as well and developed symptoms like you described after one of his first vet visits. Stuffy, runny nose and his eyes were like that as well. A lot of sneezing too. The vet said he likely has feline herpes and was having a flare up. Bottle fed cats could be more prone to this from my understanding, lower immune system etc. and these flare ups can be brought on by stress (her vet visit). Lysine cleared him right up in a few days per my vets recommendation. My other adult cats never got sick when he would have his flare ups. Thankfully he grew out of this but I still keep lysine on hand and give it to him for a few days at the first sign of a runny nose or eyes. That seems to knock it out before it starts, though this hardly ever happens anymore.
Best wishes

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know the cause as it can be allergies or something else but I have a couple of kitties that have problems at times. I take them into a steamy bathroom if they get too stuffed up. I also have started using a Hepa air filter. It seems to help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the L-Lysine doesn't help, then I would definitely get a culture as stephanietx stephanietx suggested. I believe she has a cat who had an unusual issue that requires a very specific long term antibiotic to fix. But it wasn't so unusual that we haven't seen others cats with the same issue. Unfortuatenly, I can't remember what it's called at the moment

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the L-Lysine doesn't help, then I would definitely get a culture as stephanietx stephanietx suggested. I believe she has a cat who had an unusual issue that requires a very specific long term antibiotic to fix. But it wasn't so unusual that we haven't seen others cats with the same issue. Unfortuatenly, I can't remember what it's called at the moment
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens you are correct! My cat from time to time struggles with high psuedomonas and it causes all kinds of nasal discharge, sneezing, and coughing. She also has feline herpes which complicates matters and requires a longer recovery time.