Stuffed Cougar in the college :(

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed today that right outside my Geology class there is a stuffed Cougar on display.
Made me sick... It's not in very good condition, and there are pieces of fur falling off. To top it all off, when I said "poor Cougar" some kid snickered at me
Do you people think I have any chance of getting the school to remove it?

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cougar

I just noticed today that right outside my Geology class there is a stuffed Cougar on display.
Made me sick... It's not in very good condition, and there are pieces of fur falling off. To top it all off, when I said "poor Cougar" some kid snickered at me
Do you people think I have any chance of getting the school to remove it?
Just curious...what's the story on the cougar?

I personally wouldn't seek having it removed on the grounds that it's a cougar, but rather because of it's poor condition.

Spotz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you mean the story? I don't know whether it was hunted or died of disease if that what you mean, but I could ask around.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like an antique. Do you know where it came from?... If more people feel it doesn't look right, you could all request its removal. A letter to the student council or an influential teacher may do the trick.

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where it came from. I'll check with some of the science teachers to see if they know anything. I don't want to look like a weirdo though

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Cougar, why don't you go to the principals office, and ask to talk to them privately, and also to remain anonymous and say that you find it offensive, being an animal lover, and ask if there is any way they could have it removed. Even if a petition is needed. Something along those lines.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just curious...why is Taxidermy considered Offensive?

Spotz

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the idea of displaying a corpse. I guess I only have a problem with it if the cat was killed by someone which is unlikely. Still possible though.
Thanks for the suggestion Cheryl, I'll think about it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cougar

I don't like the idea of displaying a corpse. I guess I only have a problem with it if the cat was killed by someone which is unlikely. Still possible though.
Thanks for the suggestion Cheryl, I'll think about it.
I don't think it is literally a corpse. It's more like stuffed fur. Right?

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a restaurant here called the "Lone Star" where they specialize in steaks. Well, I can't eat there, even though I eat meat.

It just grosses me out to sit and eat while I see animals with real fur mounted to the wall knowing they've either been hunted and killed or collected and stuffed!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually Brandon, most school "mascots" and such, meaning stuffed animals displayed in schools and in science buildings, are usually "found" animals. They were found in the wild having died of natural causes, or were unfortunate casualties of the road. At least that's how it's been at all of the schools I attended..

lenaorie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brandon-
I really dont think that you should worry about it too much.. Only for the reason is that... It probably wasnt hunted.. like some1 else said, usually its from natural causes when they do stuff and display them at schools and things

one of my HS teachers was a big hunter and he has almost one of everything mounted all over his house.. i think that it is pretty neat.. only cat he has mounted is a lil mountan lion.. Which he found hurt so he killed it because it was going to die anyhow.. and he thought that it would be neat to have stuffed.. ^^^i think it was better of him to go ahead and put it down then let it suffer and other animals feast on it..

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brandon I don't have anything constructive to add but I can see why you want it removed. At my college in the science room they have baby monkeys in jars. Even though they died of natural causes, it really makes me sick.