Stud tail (?) and hairless ears?

diesel3780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it seems that a small cat (Weber, due to the fact that he hangs around my Weber BBQ grill) has adopted me in the recent weeks. He's pretty young, and very small. The pictures make him seem much bigger than he really is. He's not neutered, nor does he look very clean. He regularly grooms himself, yet feels like a typical outdoor stray (slightly coarse, short hair). 

Here's the thing, I noticed his rat-like tail (for lack of a better term) and assumed it to be stud tail due to the fact that he's not neutered. His ears also remind me of those of a bat. They're hairless, and just a little unsightly (but if that's just his natural way, I'll be glad to love him- hairless ears and all!). 

Because he's not neutered, so young, and living in my shed, I assume he's a wild cat. He would run away from me at first, now approaches if I have food. He'll sit down beside me while he eats outside, and lets me pet his head and back. 

My main question is, what is with his tail and ears. Is it stud tail for sure, and do these ears look normal?

Bonus picture of him basking in the sun!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you able to get him to a vet? I don't know what the deal is with his ears and tail, could be parasites or an allergy. You get him checked out by a vet and neutered he will stay around and probably turn out to be a sweet, loving kitty. The vet will also give him his vaccinations and a deworming. Stud tail is usually at the base of the tail and looks like oily acne.

If you aren't able to get him to a vet you could look for a TNR group in your area. They would humanely trap him, take him to the vet for neutering and basic vetting, then return him.  The TNR stands for trap, neuter, return.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diesel3780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on taking him to the vet as soon as he warms up a little more. Being that he is eating, drinking, and playing outside like a healthy cat, I don't see the rush. I don't want to traumatize him quite yet. I have an indoor cat who loves to watch the little guy eat outside. They sleep on opposite sides of the screen door and keep each other company. I plan on keeping him, since I can't turn down that friendly face! Live in a populated area with plenty of cars; I don't want him to get hurt.