Stuck

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a stray cat stuck between my cement steps and house. Animal control and wildlife service and several rescues have refued to come. The poor thing is crying.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he stuck in a small space ?
How about trying to remove him yourself ...I would definitely wear gloves because the cat is upset. Good luck, its frustrating when people refuse to help :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the area is too tight to get my arm in. I'm also 65 and can't really get down to do it. The poor thing is crying. I'm afraid I'll just hear it cry til it starves.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any friends or relatives that could try to help? How about volunteer firefighters in your area? They always seem to have a knack for things like this.

For now, is there any way to put food and water in there as far as you can go so that the cat can get to it?

Last edited:

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No room to even get my arm in to put food in. I tried fire department and they laughed and said they didn't do that crap anymore. I have no family.I even tried exterminator!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second the volunteer fireman ! My b-i-law is v.fireman. You will find them in small towns usually, they also might have tools that could widen the space. Is it a small cat or kitten ? How about a handyman? Is it middle of nite for you ?

Try to drop some type of food down the crack. Just try not to get kitty wet...

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee, where do you live? I find it hard to believe that NO ONE will help.  

Do you know anyone who volunteers with animals and can go to them directly? Perhaps paying someone to help you might be necessary. Or offer to make a donation to the rescues / fire department.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Live in Delaware. Fire department said not even if I paid. Called 3 rescues. The only one who answered said they had more important things to do. All the animal removal services said the only do "wild" animals. SPCA said they were too busy and Humane said they have their own problems.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called several handy men. All said no. One said he'd be glad to board up the area with the cat down there.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What area of Delaware do you live? You don't have to say the town. Towards the north or south end? If you don't want to say on this thread, you may send me a PM.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just had fire department laugh at me. Suggested I had too much time on my hands.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Northern part of state.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
People are so unhelpful aren't they?

How do you think the cat got in there? Could it have been chased by something and squeezed in there by itself? Or do you think it fell from the step and got wedged in the gap? Is it able to move at all or is it totally stuck?

Thank you for caring. It's so frustrating that no one is willing to help you.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To let others know...I gave the OP direct contact info for two people who work with a cat rescue in that area.

If you have cat food, I would try tossing it in the small space or putting it down in the cracks as @Docs Mom  already suggested. Also, they are calling for rain in northern Delaware on Saturday starting in the early morning, so if you have a tarp or some kind of waterproof covering to lay over the area, it will help keep kitty dry. It'll be cold and wet.

Keep us posted.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to put food into space but It can't turn around and the other side is closed. I've lived here 3 years and this never happened before.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking if he got in he can get out. But doesn't look that way.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then perhaps you need to pay a handyman or general contractor - not to rescue a cat, but to do some "renovation" work. There may be a section they can remove to get the cat out more easily, but you'll sign the paperwork with the contractor and pay them for the work. A volunteer will not want to do anything to your house for liability reasons, understandably so.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The handymen I called all said it was risky and they could get bit. plus I rent. I'm resigned to the fact that no one is going to help.

belphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been 2 days I doubt it can last much longer.