Stubborn mats!

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you all do for mats?  I know if they are severe enough they need to be shaved, but for at home treatment what do you do?  Any special brushes or tools?  Can you use detangler that's safe for kids?  (I've seen detangler specifically for cats but it's awfully expensive.)  Any other tips?

Thank you! 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no one has offered any advice yet so I will attempt to help. I suggest using a good metal comb instead of a brush. If too matted, shaving and then working with the cat to accustom to grooming routine. For small mats you can use corn starch baby powder or just plain corn starch on the mat - that sometimes loosens it. Work at it with the comb staring at the top of the mat and gently tease it apart. I would not use any detangler not made for cats since it may contain harmful ingredients. In my home, I have only one short haired cat, the rest are all long haired and my main tool for grooming is what they call a greyhound comb. I never use a brush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the brushes and combs I currently have for Celestina. I feel like it's a bit overkill but I also feel like I'm missing something! What else would be helpful for a Himalayan Ragdoll? A slicker brush? A rake with turning tines/pins? A skip tooth comb? A mat cutting comb?

I feel so clueless and confused with all these options!

P.S. In case you can't tell, L to R is a dematting tool,a deshedding tool, a tangle and mat comb, and a regular wide toothed comb.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are the brushes and combs I currently have for Celestina. I feel like it's a bit overkill but I also feel like I'm missing something! What else would be helpful for a Himalayan Ragdoll? A slicker brush? A rake with turning tines/pins? A skip tooth comb? A mat cutting comb?

I feel so clueless and confused with all these options!

P.S. In case you can't tell, L to R is a dematting tool,a deshedding tool, a tangle and mat comb, and a regular wide toothed comb.
Sophie mats much more easily than Lilith and I have an arsenal similar to yours. I have the same tangle and mat comb (second from right in your photo) and it's worth it's weight in gold. I need to go see if it's available for review here. I love it. Sophie tolerates it which is saying a lot about it. Most combs just get swatted or bitten. 

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far Celestina is not a fan of me trying to remove mats at all.  She likes being brushed usually, but when it comes to mats... she also bites the combs or sometimes nips at me and/or runs away.  

We're getting her groomed professionally tomorrow, so that'll take care of the current situation, but obviously I want to be prepared for the future!

Her fur is SO thick and long and dense, I'm afraid we might have to go through a lot of different combs and brushes to find what works best!   

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we went to the groomer and got the shave done! No more mats!
She seems much happier - more lovey and more playful. :)

Last edited:

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She still has a couple little mats below her chin.  I've got all the tools now but it's awfully hard to work on the mats when she is not fond of it and will nip at me.  

Might have to do it when hubby is home to help distract her?

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! Finally got that last little mat!