Stubborn kitten won't use litter box!

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had this kitten for awhile. I got him a few days before I got my adult cat (Merlin). He was using the litter box just fine until he showed up. Now, Riku, goes everywhere but in the litter box. I don't want to give him away for a matter than can be solved. I am determined to get him to go into the litter box. I have a feeling they are fighting over it since they are both male. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. I have shown him the litter box, moved it, placed tissue with his waste on it in the litter box and showed him it..nothing has worked.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had this kitten for awhile. I got him a few days before I got my adult cat (Merlin). He was using the litter box just fine until he showed up. Now, Riku, goes everywhere but in the litter box. I don't want to give him away for a matter than can be solved. I am determined to get him to go into the litter box. I have a feeling they are fighting over it since they are both male. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. I have shown him the litter box, moved it, placed tissue with his waste on it in the litter box and showed him it..nothing has worked.

How about getting another litter box (or 2) and putting it in a different location? Also try some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The golden rule is to have one more litterbox than you have cats, so the recommendation would be three litterboxes for your house. The problem is exactly what you think; some cats are territorial about their litterboxes. Also they have a lot of weird litterbox quirks that aren't related to territory. A lot of cats won't even pee and poop in the same litterbox. I think if you get one or two more litterboxes (I get away with two boxes for two cats) and put your kitten in the new box and make his paw dig a bit to show him it's a good place for going to the bathroom, your problem will solve itself. Cats want to use the litterbox, it's one of their more base instincts to bury their waste and avoid detection from predators.

Another problem might be that the box is getting too full of IEDs (old poops and stuff). Cats are very fastidious creatures, and they will refuse to step in a litterbox if it is covered in pee and poop clumps. This is how I was told to think about it: if it's dirty enough to where you won't touch the litter with your bare hand, don't expect your cat to touch it with his bare paw. That's not uppity cat lover speak either, it's how cats usually act since they love being clean.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about getting another litter box as my next approach. I will look into it. And I scoop the litter once a day and change it once a week. I am picky about it just as much as Merlin is lol. Thanks for the advice. I will update whenever I get the other litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It worked. Thanks for the advice.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so good to hear that you found help with your problem here.  I can't help contrasting your approach with a story a lady told me last week.  She said that once they added a 3rd cat, a beautiful little kitten.  When the kitten started peeing on rugs, etc... they honestly believed they had no choice but to take her to the shelter and have her put to sleep.  And that is what they did.  I asked if all three cats were sharing one box.  She said yes.  I mentioned that adding more boxes may have solved the problem.  Of course, it was too late, but maybe it can help her in the future to know that.  I wish more people would search harder for a solution like you did.