Stubborn Flea Infestation

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, my roommate has one. We've been trying to finish off this flea infestation for a couple of MONTHS now! Obviously, it’s pretty frustrating. We just can't seem to shake them. We're poor college students, so we tried to go the natural/less-expensive route with Wondercide and diatomaceous earth. That’s been going okay, but we just can’t get the last hold-outs. Every time we comb them, we don’t find any fleas, but we find enough flea dirt to be sure they’re still around.

I’ve been at my current job for a few months and I’m in a position where I can afford a monthly topical for my cats. My roommate likely can’t, at least not more than one or two doses.

So the questions are:

[if !supportLists]-        - [endif]Will it have any effect if I treat my cats with a monthly topical, but she doesn’t treat her cat, if we still use the DE and Wondercide in conjunction?

[if !supportLists]-        - [endif]How many doses would we probably need to get this under control? They’re all indoor cats, so I’m really frustrated that we’re having this issue. But our apartment opens directly to the outside and it’s been a very warm winter so far, so they haven’t died off.

[if !supportLists]-       -  [endif]Which topical should I use? I’m leaning towards Advantage II or Revolution. I know of one site that sells Revolution without a prescription. Is it really risky to use Revolution without a heartworm test? My understanding is that heartworm testing is the only reason you’re supposed to have a prescription. Testing everyone would add like $100 to this endeavor.

[if !supportLists]-       -  [endif]Any other ideas or products we should try?

Thanks!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're all indoor cats with just one not being treated it should be OK with bathing, flea combing monitoring whats going on. if untreated cat gets hit bad she can purchase Capstar good for 24 hours from Vet works only for adult fleas.  If you buy DEarth from health food store bulk not pricey at all use throughout your suite concentrating where the cats sleep, hang out that works. You need to repeat a few times for a few weeks.  Fleas spike certain times of the year so if they stay indoors you don't need to worry about winter months as much (whatever months those are for you) prefer to use a multi topical Advantage. Vet clinic sells them so many in a package cannot sell seperate. One month dose will save you only if you can prevent reinfestation it's the eggs you need to worry about. Found spraying flea repellents outside helps around door perimeters and stoops.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Seventhheaven! I'll sprinkle some DE outside our doorway.

I think the smallest package of Advantage I've seen is a four pack, which would only be one month if we treated every cat. I know Advantage is available OTC, but what are your thoughts on picking up something like Revolution without a prescription? I've heard it's more effective (since fewer people use it, I guess) and I like that it's also a dewormer, but I'm not sure what the risks are about using it without a negative heartworm test.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome,  Sorry cannot answer your question re: Revolution have only used Advantage. 

If you're just unsure about a product best not to use until you do more research, sometimes products will have reviews posted on their site. You can also type in Revolution or Flea control in search bar for similar threads.

Last edited: