Stubborn Cat

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is, he is now 'trained' to his current life and won't come out on his own. I lived long ago in a place with other young people, and there was a cat who literally lived in the furnace 'closet' (not a room) and came out only once a day to get food and nothing else. That cat was disturbed (by then anyhow) and had a horrible life... which is partly why I'm so concerned about yours. He won't just decide to come out for no good reason anytime soon, even if he knows how to.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nnikol

for the moment nothing, He's getting food, water, up there...he can come out when he wants i don't see the urgency. I do not want to cut a hole, or seek legal advice(which might be more expensive than the hole) for now I'm just playing the waiting game. He will come out when he is ready..cats are curious right...
I totally disagree with this. If he hasn't come out by now, he is severely scared and traumatized and each day that goes by makes it get worse, not better.

Imagine adopting a three year old child who is scared of her new home and hides in a closet - and the family lets her stay there assuming she'll come out on her own. You think letting her live in her own filth and putting food and water in there for her is OK? All she is learning is that she is NOT cared for and she is learning that these are people she CANNOT trust.

There's very little different about this situation. You adopted a pet and it is IN NEED. He needs you to do something about this because he is NOT ok. Pets need us to make decisions for them and to do things for them - just like children.

I am going to be adding a clause to our adoption papers because of this situation. It is going to say "if your cat disappears into the ceiling or wall, are you willing to have someone cut a hole to retrieve it?"

Please, please, please do something to help YOUR cat that you took responsibility for by adopting!

Laurie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok everyone, breathe deeply and calm down. First of all, the cat has found a cave. It is a bit inconvienient because this cave is only accessible to the cat- but he feels safe there. It isn't really any different than a cat hiding under the bed. He is eating and that is a plus.

To the new owner, you need to get this cat out. In order to do this, you need to think like he does. He will come out for live prey, he will come out if he thinks another cat is in his territory. You will have to arrange some way that when he does come you, you can immediately shut the entrance to his cave. Rig something on a rope that will fall over the entrance
the minute his whole body is out of the cave.

I had a cat who lived in our rafters for over a year. He finally came down when I borrowed a friend's pet ferret and put the ferret cage with the ferret in the garage. I put the cage behind a humane trap and placed boards so the only way this cat could approach the "prey" was through the trap.

You also have to provide this cat another cave or safe place to hide in the room so when you shut his entrance, he has another option.

You can bring him down several ways-
  • borrow or buy a mouse and put the cage in the room-
  • same for a bird cage but be sure the bird is up and out of reach
  • go to www.miceonice.com and try to see if that works for you- although live prey would give you better results
  • Try a toy like Da Bird to see if that draws him out, or a laser toy but don't get the laser in the cat's eyes
  • If you know someone with a tomcat, ask them for some of their soiled litter- sprinkle that in your room. It will stink, but he will come out to cover the scent.
  • Put another cat in a carrier in the room to lure him out.
    You can also use a mirror to lure him out. Place it so the minute he comes to the entrance of his cave he sees his reflection. He should go on the defensive and come out to beat away the intruder
Good luck

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NNikol - hissy has worked with cats - ferals and rescues - for years, and is our most experienced member - in fact, she was instrumental in the success of this site.

I'd add that if there's some way to rig it so there's something you can pull down over the hole without being in the room when he comes out that'd be best - but just being as far away as possible to pull a string to pull a board or something down will probably still work.

Laurie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

NNikol - hissy has worked with cats - ferals and rescues - for years, and is our most experienced member - in fact, she was instrumental in the success of this site.

Laurie
Thank you Laurie, that meant a lot especially coming from you.

I am hoping that with no update it is good news and the cat has been captured and the hole sealed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's still up there

well the old owner is coming on Thursday. right now I'm just trying to keep him calm and comfortable.

mxtine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to admit I'd just cut the hole in the ceiling and figure out how to patch it up myself after my cat was safe. Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I jut started reading this thread. Poor kitty. Is he still up there? Isn't way too long to let him all holed up. I believe that if he sees no good reason to come out, he won't. Please, please get him out. I don't want to sound mean but allowing a small kitten to be confined in such a tiny space is really plain cruel.

You said that he came out on his own before right? Well, why don't you just sit in one corner and wait for him to come out again. Entice him with something..live mice, birds, whatever.. so many suggestions has already been given.

I am sending plenty of for this scared little kitty and hope he will be out sooner than later.

Please update us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried the laser pointer, he plays with it but does not follow it. As the the mouse/bird option no i have not tried it yet. The old owner is coming tomorrow, i hope he comes out when he sees her.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't count on it. Cats don't relate to people the same way as dogs do, and a kitten (with a short memory) who's been away from that owner for so long, and who's now 'attached' to its territory in the walls or whatever, and has no earthly reason to come out otherwise apparently, will 99% not respond. You must call the Humane Society - I cannot believe this is something new to them and that they don't know how to deal with it, even if it means speaking to your landlord to tell him about the law regarding cruelty, or SOMEthing! I don't understand how you've let it go on this long - I'd have torn the place apart if I had to and deal with the consequences later.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Don't count on it. Cats don't relate to people the same way as dogs do, and a kitten (with a short memory) who's been away from that owner for so long, and who's now 'attached' to its territory in the walls or whatever, and has no earthly reason to come out otherwise apparently, will 99% not respond. You must call the Humane Society - I cannot believe this is something new to them and that they don't know how to deal with it, even if it means speaking to your landlord to tell him about the law regarding cruelty, or SOMEthing! I don't understand how you've let it go on this long - I'd have torn the place apart if I had to and deal with the consequences later.
i agree. i would have cut the flipping hole myself. you need to get someone who can get this cat out now!