Struvite crystals vet RX Food

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he didn't have crystals or infection.   but idiopathic cystitis can be confusing to treat  ,  to find what might be causing it.   I hope you're successful.   Good that you got some pain meds for him.  
what canned food do or did you feed him ? That is what I am afraid of , spook developing Diabetes on this food eventually
 The first food I fed was Evo.   it was just whatever the regular Innova Evo was in 2006.  Chicken & turkey.    Then later  I fed more of a variety .  sometimes still fed Evo but also fed others like Merrick Cowboy Cookout and Wellness grain-free paté style Chicken or Turkey.    Occasionally I fed some Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie  when I wanted to bring his BG up a little or slow a drop after the insulin ( it is slightly higher carb and as I say,   he was so carb sensitive that just a little of a slightly higher carb food would affect him.) 

Then when he was diagnosed with IBD a few years later,  I fed him Nature's Variety Instinct Venison ,   both the canned and the raw.    and that is what he ate for the rest of his life until he died last year after losing a battle with cancer. 

I also always added a little warm water to his food . 

He always  had urinalyses at least twice a year during those 6 years after I took him off the prescription urinary food,  and he never had any crystals.  

I also did know of other people who had been in the same situation,  of their cats getting diabetes while on Hill's c/d.   and then did OK on high protein , low carb, wet food.   but I don't remember exactly what foods they fed.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still have Spook isolated upstairs..He actually loves it! Since I bought 10 cans of the Royal canin S/O (pate form) I have decided to try to wean him off of the Royal can S/O dry as much as I can.

Bad news, the canned although it does not have the corn and wheat gluten, has Carraggean , of course all of these Rx diets always have something undesirable in them!

The other two boys are on the Nature's variety Instinct Limited ingredient diet turkey, 50% dry and 50% canned... Boo has been doing well on this , no throw ups except for several days ago when he got ahold of the Royal canin S/O that I forgot to take up. I also have been giving Boo (probable IBD) slippery elm, 1/4 teaspoon with water added, half in morning, half late in the evening.....

Spook has not been back to the litter box (no frequency) and has ate twice the soupy canned Royal Canin S/O but never finishes it... Took the dry up early this afternoon so maybe he would be more willing to eat the canned...

I think perhaps this MIGHT be a stress induced thing, since he is a nervous cat.

I will be taking him back in two weeks for a check up on his ears  or sooner if things (urinary issues)don't get any better.

The pain med really makes him calm and relaxed, hate to use it but sometimes you have no choice.

I have some Dasequin (sp?) the newer version of Cosequin I wonder if that would be beneficial ?

He hates having his ears tended to, he went under the bed after his last treatment, poor guy....

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he didn't have crystals or infection.   but idiopathic cystitis can be confusing to treat  ,  to find what might be causing it.   I hope you're successful.   Good that you got some pain meds for him.  

The first food I fed was Evo.   it was just whatever the regular Innova Evo was in 2006.  Chicken & turkey.    Then later  I fed more of a variety .  sometimes still fed Evo but also fed others like Merrick Cowboy Cookout and Wellness grain-free paté style Chicken or Turkey.    Occasionally I fed some Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie  when I wanted to bring his BG up a little or slow a drop after the insulin ( it is slightly higher carb and as I say,   he was so carb sensitive that just a little of a slightly higher carb food would affect him.) 

Then when he was diagnosed with IBD a few years later,  I fed him Nature's Variety Instinct Venison ,   both the canned and the raw.    and that is what he ate for the rest of his life until he died last year after losing a battle with cancer. 

I also always added a little warm water to his food . 

He always  had urinalyses at least twice a year during those 6 years after I took him off the prescription urinary food,  and he never had any crystals.  

I also did know of other people who had been in the same situation,  of their cats getting diabetes while on Hill's c/d.   and then did OK on high protein , low carb, wet food.   but I don't remember exactly what foods they fed.   
I have tried all these before too. The merrick was not a big hit since it has chunks, etc, all of my boys are "pate" canned only, no slices, no chunks, no shredded versions. Evo used to be a good food till  the buy out and all the recent recalls, so I will not chance ever buying any Evo, Innova, California Natural..

Wellness, I used to buy the canned Turkey and Chicken but I have read on so many forums about pet owners cats developing urinary issues , why I don't know so I will not be buying any wellness either, just can't take that chance.

My other two boys are on the Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient, turkey, dry & canned...Boo has probable IBD and he has been doing very well on this so far. I tried the NVI raw bites, Boo wouldn't eat them, Peanut(my other boy) did. I tried Stella & Chewys Dehydrated raw Tummy Tickling Turkey, Boo would not eat it, Peanut did.

Thank you

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because he likes gravy you might want to start with the new pride line of natures variety but check the mineral content. The pate also does have a lot of gravy and you could try blending it was water to make it more like gravy. 
The New pride's I believe is slices ? My boys won't eat it, I already looked at it online.

I had been giving Spook a little of the Nature's Variety Instinct Canned, just a tablespoon and adding quite a bit of water to it and he licked up the liquid, leaving the rest

I have two very picky, finicky cats, Peanut is the only one that will try just about anything....except he too doesn't care for any sliced or minced canned food.

Thanks

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The New pride's I believe is slices ? My boys won't eat it, I already looked at it online.

I had been giving Spook a little of the Nature's Variety Instinct Canned, just a tablespoon and adding quite a bit of water to it and he licked up the liquid, leaving the rest

I have two very picky, finicky cats, Peanut is the only one that will try just about anything....except he too doesn't care for any sliced or minced canned food.

Thanks
Funny my cats are the opposite and do not like pate. i actually wish they did because there are more options. You might want to look into Hound and Gatos it is a really great food but is a pate so mine aren't crazy for it. Frank is super picky as well and took forever to transition him and he really only liked the nature's variety pride, will eat the instinct pate if he is really hungry and likes tiki cat shredded chicken. I am actually going to start making some homemade cat food and fingers crossed he will like it. Ava on the other hand also will eat anything and she loves raw and homemade food but she is also not crazy about pate food but will eat it. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick now has some pate style foods that my cats like .  like Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate Grain Free 

re the Evo I stopped feeding that after P &G took over.   
I have tried all these before too. The merrick was not a big hit since it has chunks, etc, all of my boys are "pate" canned only, no slices, no chunks, no shredded versions. Evo used to be a good food till  the buy out and all the recent recalls, so I will not chance ever buying any Evo, Innova, California Natural..

Wellness, I used to buy the canned Turkey and Chicken but I have read on so many forums about pet owners cats developing urinary issues , why I don't know so I will not be buying any wellness either, just can't take that chance.

My other two boys are on the Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient, turkey, dry & canned...Boo has probable IBD and he has been doing very well on this so far. I tried the NVI raw bites, Boo wouldn't eat them, Peanut(my other boy) did. I tried Stella & Chewys Dehydrated raw Tummy Tickling Turkey, Boo would not eat it, Peanut did.

Thank you

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding Dasaquin, a vet prescribed this for a cat I was fostering for what turned out to be arthritis (he was only two years old, one of the cats in the stray/feral cat colony I take care of).  I asked the vet about Cosequin.  Either he or a member on this site indicated that the ingredients in Dasaquin were more readily available biochemically speaking that Cosequin.

But PetSmart was having a 2 for 1 sale on Cosequin at the time, so I switched him to that.

I frankly don't think Dasaquin is worth the extra money, but maybe your vet has a better answer.