struvite crystals or just upset with me?

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My husband and I just got back from a 10 day trip late last night. My usual cat sitter took care of them - she's my neighbor, and I know she does a great job, although they certainly don't get as much interaction as when we're at home.

We walked into our bedroom tonight, and lo and behold, one of our two cats took a HUGE pee on our comforter. This was the favorite spot for Gus to pee when he had an issue with struvite crystals - and quite frankly, he was looking a little guilty by sniffing around the pee a lot. He hasn't had any issues with crystals since we switched him (both of them, really) to an all-canned diet.

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I'm 4 months pregnant. Thus far, this has not affected their life at all. I have noticed that my other cat loved to lay on my belly/chest during my first trimester, so I wonder if they smell the hormonal changes.

So do you think he's just pissed at us for leaving for 10 days? Or is it time to call the vet? I don't relish spending $72 (visit + urine tests) if he's just upset with me, but I'll do what I have to do. Your thoughts are much appreciated!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's always a good idea to have a cat checked out by a vet if he/she is behaving differently. Keep watch for other signs of crystals, such as straining to go and yowling as if in pain. If he does go in the litter box, a small "pee pod" can indicate a partial blockage. Urinary blockages are very dangerous and can be fatal. Since Gus has had a blockage in the past, I don't know that I would risk it.

With that said, it is possible that your cat is just upset with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just for clarity's sake - he never had a full blockage in the past, it was just lots of pee everywhere but the litter box, then the vet analyzed the urine and found crystals. 

Since my hubby is scooping the litter these days (BIG pregnancy perk! 
)  I gave him good instruction on what to look for in the box. Their pee clumps are usually at least the size of a hockey puck, so it shouldn't be hard to tell if anything shrinks. We decided that, since someone else thinks there is the possibility that he could just be upset, we'll just monitor and then, if he pees outside the litterbox one more time, we will take him to the vet promptly. I just hope he doesn't pee on the comforter. Again. It is expensive to take that thing to the laundromat!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have urine pH test strips at home? You could test his pH to see if it's in the normal range. Not definitive, but if it's normal then you know that struvites are less likely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not have those ... do you know where I would get them? And how on earth would I get him to give me a sample? 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have those ... do you know where I would get them? And how on earth would I get him to give me a sample? 
You should be able to get them at your local pharmacy or pharmacy section in a big store, like Walmart.  As for getting a sample, you have to watch him each time he goes into the litter box and stick a tester in the stream when he pees, or you can express his bladder (which I would leave to the vet). If you just try to put a test strip in the box after he has peed, you are going to get the ph of the litter and the urine mixed, which will throw the test off, and defeat your purpose.